Chapter 15

Katie POV-

Lets just say that Luke's parents really knew how to throw a party. When I mean, it was over the top, it was over the top. Of course our graduation at school was dull and boring, but this party was like nothing I've ever experienced. It was grand, and I really mean that. There was decorations all over the backyard with our school colors, maroon and gold. There was at least 50 something balloons lining the entire backyard. They also included streamers all along their deck. They kept the pool open for the younger kids, and it was nice not having a lot of them running around outside. Another cool thing they did was actually a huge surprise I didn't even know about. They had flown Luke's friends from Australia out for the next two weeks. It was nice seeing Luke have his friends there. He was beaming with happiness. I was jealous, I couldn't lie, which is how I ended up sitting by myself currently, just playing on my phone.

I looked up from my phone out into the big crowd of people. I couldn't even count. There must have been 100 people at least. All for a high school graduation. Some of them were Luke's relatives, but I had guessed others, especially the ones with kids, were people from his mom's job. Not to judge, but a good chunk of them seemed to be very high class. I definitely felt out of place. Currently I was texting back and forth with my dad. Luke invited him of course, but he had already planned a surprise weekend trip for himself and Wendy, before he even knew the date. I didn't mean to bother him but I was alone. I didn't want to bother Luke either. He was at his own party, and he had to be sociable with everyone. My phone vibrated and I looked down.

Go attempt to make friends. You never know.

Why must my dad always be right? I sent a quick reply and got up and walked around. There were people everywhere, but it seemed like everyone had already found their groups. I continued to walk around to maybe find someone I could attempt to talk to. But there was no one. I headed up the deck and went inside. It was definitely quieter in here, even thought there was the slight echo of the kids jumping into the pool. I walked around looking at the familiar house. I headed into the living room and was shocked to see a small girl sitting on the couch. There was little sniffles coming from her direction, and her head was down, buried in her knees. I wasn't sure what to do. I had never dealt with a crying child before. Or any child for that matter. I thought about trying to go find somebody, maybe Liz, but why would I bother her.

Reluctantly I went over and sat on the couch. At first I just sat there really uncomfortable, and then I cleared my throat. "Um. Hi. Are you okay?" I asked nervously. She picked her head up and her light brown hair fell to cover her face. She took a peek at me and then brought her head right back where it was. Maybe I should try a different approach. I huffed and then tried again, "I'm Katie. I was trying to find a friend here. I don't know anybody but Luke. I was wondering if maybe you could be my friend for the day." The little girl stopped her sniffling and looked back up at me. She straightened herself up. "I'm Kara," she said quietly. At least now I was getting her to talk. Maybe now I can get her to fess up.

"Awesome. You know Kara. Friends tell each other when they're upset." I said and she stared back at the floor. She took a small look at me and then back at the floor. I took this time to really study her. I couldn't guess her age, I was never good at that. She had light brown eyes, and she had this beautiful butterfly pin holding her hair back. It didn't seem like it was working too well. Her hair like it was extremely thick. "I can't swim and the other kids made fun of me." I couldn't help but laugh inside a little bit. Oh if only this little girl knew.

"Well. It's not that uncommon you know," I told her and she sat back on the couch and looked over at me. Her eyes were red from crying. "I can't swim. And I'm an adult," I told her. Technically I was an adult. Technically. Her eyes got wide and she looked up at me in disbelief. "Really?" She said excitedly and I nodded my head.