Chapter 6

Luke-

School was an exhausting experience. I was so glad that now there was less than two weeks left. I was happy, but Katie, was a bit nervous. She was scared about failing her finals. She said biology and english were okay, but history and math were freaking her out. I felt bad for her because failing was never fun. I mean I stressed out myself about failing, and under her circumstances it must've been even worse. I knew I wouldn't fail, I could pass all my tests easy. It was getting A's on them that was hard. My mom was obsessed with getting A's. I mean she knew I was a good student and she wasn't awfully strict, but she made it known that she wanted me to get A's. I understood what getting A's would mean, but I don't know if she really understood how hard it was for me. Especially if she wanted me to just be a normal teenager like she always preached.

I was sitting outside with Katie now in our usual spot helping her with Algebra. I was in geometry, when I was back home I already learned most of the math everyone was doing right now. I was sitting with her trying to help her understand how to solve an equation.

"Katie, you know this. I know you do. You're just freaking yourself out." I said and put my hand on her shoulder. She put her head in her hands and I swear she was looked like she was about to cry. I didn't want her to cry. That wouldn't be fun. "I don't get it Luke. I'm going to fail." She said. I could hear her voice start to break slowly as she talked. "Don't say that. We just have such a time constraint here. Maybe we could meet up after school instead and then we'll have more time." I told her. These hour session during gym and the 25 minute one during lunch were not enough time to help her with algerba. I knew she knew how to do them, but they just made her nervous. I tried to keep her calm, but I knew she must've been freaking out in my mind.

"I don't know about that...." she said sounding as if she was faraway.

"Why. We don't have enough time in school to do this. We have like 5 minutes left of lunch and it's just not enough time." I said trying to get her to say yes. I didn't know why she was so against hanging out and studying after school. I know she really wanted to pass. If it was me I would want to do everything I could.

''I just..." She said and trailed off.

"Katie. Come on. You need the help and I can help you." I told her firmly. She didn't look at me.

"I know. I know. Fine. You can come over my house." She said sounding defeated. She looked over at me and I gave her a small smile. She reached down and started to rub Lucy's head. "I take the bus. So we'll have to take the bus home?" She said sounding kind of sad. She didn't make eye contact but kept staring at Lucy. "You take a bus?" I asked her and raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah. I live like right down the street from the school, so it's on the way. It works easiest." She told me and finally looked up. I could tell by the way her eyes were more grey than blue she was upset. I wasn't sure why and I didn't think it'd be good to pry. I figured that the stress was just getting to her and settling with her. She gave me a small smile and then looked out the window towards the window. I looked out the window too. I could see little rain drops falling lightly against the window. "Oh man it's raining," she said and I swear I could see a frown. When I was about to say something else the bell rang and she got up instantly. I couldn't tell if she was mad at me or if it was something else, but I began to feel uneasy about the fact she was upset. Maybe I did something to offend her?