Chapter 1

"She's good to go." Said the nurse shuffling through the discharge papers. My dad gave me a reassuring smile and we exited the hospital... Again. Another seizure, just like all the rest. I waited for my dad to pull his car around front before I got in. When I did I put on the radio and listened to the marvelous 5 hits that the today's music radio station plays.. All the time. I looked at my dad who was focused on driving. Maybe he was just thinking. He does that after everything. "It'll get better Katie. They said with age it usually stops. They've been getting less frequent. I think it'll look up soon" he said trying to stay positive. I sighed. That's what he said last time, and they didn't get any better. I grabbed the handle on my seat and pulled it back so I ended up laying down relaxing. The car ride home was soothing, but I was really sick of this. I hated going in and out of the hospital almost every week, or sometimes even twice. I could barley do my homework and keep up with everything because of this. I just wanted to be able to go out and enjoy myself without having to worry about ending up in the hospital. I sighed. When we arrived home I opended the door and Lucy my dog ran too me. Lucy was a golden retriever and she was also my seizure dog. When I was 7, I would have multiple in a day and someone told us about the fact we could get a dog that can sense when a seizure's about to happen and let's my dad know. She basically just barks when she knows and people usually pay attention. She jumped on me and I crouched down to pet her. Her fur was so soft and warm. Not only was she my seizure dog but she acted like a therapy dog for me. When I was upset or hurt she would always calm me down. She was my best friend, and basically the only one I had. My seizures scared people away easily, which I don't think was fair, but I never had time to fix it. I went upstairs to my room with Lucy trailing behind me. Lucy went everywhere with me, except the hospital. There they didn't really need Lucy to tell when I was going to have a seizure. 

     I laid on my bed and patted a spot for Lucy to join me. We laid down together, me just petting her head until I felt myself drifting off. Even though I passed out a lot didn't mean I wasn't tired. I think that was an assumtion people made. I was always tired no matter what. I decided to attempt my homework, but I felt like I wouldn't be able to finish it. I started it being able to get through the english and history alright. The math not so much. I missed too many classes and had no idea what was going on. I was even in the lowest level math class and I was still falling behind. The school suggested a tutor before, and I tried it but it didn't work out. Anatomy I found pretty easy. Being in and out of the hospital all the time you hear most of the terminology mentioned in anatomy. I tried to finish my math homework, but it just wasn't happening. Feeling discouraged I decided to just call it a night and set myself up for tomorrow. I set up my clothes for the next day and took my medication and went to sleep. 

--------------

    When I woke up the next day I got ready quickly so I had time to get Lucy ready. Going to school with Lucy was a bit of a pain, but she was my saving grace. I made sure she was fed, let out, the worst part was getting her vest on. That was one of the agreements, that she had to have a vest explaining that she was a seizure dog if she was to go to school. There was also make sure she doesn't bark or pee in school, and make sure she's clean yada yada. Lucy hated her vest. I don't know if it was because it made her uncomfortable or she just didn't like the way it sat on her. You would think after all these years she would've gotten used to it. I kneeled down on the ground next to her and unclipped her vest. I rested it on top of her and she backed up out of it. "Really Lucy?"  I said and sat on my butt. I gave her a pouty face, but she just did it right back to me. "Lucy if I don't put this on you can't come to school with me. I need you there. You know that." I sighed and waited for her to give in. She walked over to me and rubbed my arm with her head, sort of like nudging me. "I thought so," I said and smirked. I wrapped the vest around her again and clipped it. After I stood up and she started running around the house like a normal dog. What was good about Lucy was she only barked when I was going to have a seizure. It's lucky that I don't have them as much anymore because she doesn't bark often. When I was younger they were worse, but now they're not too bad. I mean if you think one or two times in the hospital a week is bad, think about three or four. They say kids grow out of it with age, but you never know. I clipped her leash on and waited outside for the bus. Despite the dog, I was pretty normal. Taking the bus was a normal thing for kids my age to do. No one really questioned me about it.