Jimi

"I'm on the edge, baby I'm looking over"

I set Karen's food in front of her on the picnic table that her and her mom were sitting at.

"Thanks babe" she said with a smile. Karen put Aubree back in the car seat and started eating. She didn't buckle her in because she would probably pick her back up when she is done eating. We sat around and talked while we ate. Aubree started getting fussy and I figured she probably would need a diaper change.

"I'm going to take her and change her diaper" Karen said and picked her up. She grabbed her diaper bag out from under the stroller and walked towards the bathroom. As soon as Karen was out of ear shot, I started talking to her parents and I was a little nervous.

"So, Karen and I have only been together officially for about three months" I started. This was going to be harder than I thought. Her parents stopped eating and looked at me intently.

"But I love her more than anything and we have spent every day together for the past year. We have basically been together this whole time" I continued. I was just rambling now. I took a minute to gather myself.

"I got her a ring and I want to ask your permission to marry her" I finally said. They were silent for a minute. Then smiles grew on their faces.

"I thought I already gave you my blessing?" her dad said with a laugh.

"I know, but I wanted to ask again because I didn't really ask that day" I said.

"Jimi, you are an amazing person and we couldn't imagine anyone else making her as happy as you make her" her mom said.

"Of course you have our blessing" her dad said with a smile.

I was smiling like an idiot, but I didn't care.

"When are you going to ask her?" her mom asked.

"I don't know yet. I don't want to rush her considering she did just get a divorce" I said.

"Jimi, if you would ask her the minute she came back, she would say yes" her mom said.

"That's what Kimberly said when I told her I got the ring" I said with a chuckle.

"I think she's ready. She loves you" her mom added and I nodded.

I looked over at the bathroom and I saw Karen walk out with Aubree. We wrapped up the conversation before she could hear us. She made her way back to the table and set Aubree back in her car seat. She sat back down next to me and finished her fries. Once we were all done eating, we decided to finish seeing the rest of the animals. Karen strapped Aubree in the car seat and we started going.

Before we were done, Aubree had fallen asleep. We decided to call it a day and Karen said she needed to pump. We made dinner plans with her parents and went our separate ways.

We made it home and I got Aubree out of the car and carried her car seat up to the apartment. She was still asleep so I brought her in the living room and left her in there. I didn't want to risk waking her up and being crabby when we go to dinner. Karen pumped and I laid down on the couch. Today has been an exhausting day.

When Karen was done, she came over by me. I moved over to make room for her. She laid down next to me. I was laying mostly on my back leaning up against the back of the couch a little with my head on the arm rest. Karen laid down on her side, but had part of her body on me with her head on my chest. She had her arm around my stomach. I wrapped my arm around her back and rubbed it gently. We didn't say anything and it was okay. It was comfortable. I kissed the top of her head and looked down at her. She was already asleep. I smiled to myself.