5: Grocery Shop Disaster

Toma Team

It has been two days since they lost one of their own. Marc, Kevin, and Raven had gone out for a supply run while the rest stayed at the farm house. The group consisted of thirty when the virus was released. Now there is only ten left.

It had been a normal run for the three of them. They rode in the old red truck with a broken air conditioner. Windows down and singing random oldies songs to pass the time.

The ride to the nearest town was thirty minutes out. When they arrived at the grocery store Kevin pulled the truck to a stop in front and grabbed his shotgun while the others grabbed their choice of weapons.

Raven carried an ax and a few knives he always had in his person. He cleaned and caressed those daggers as if they were a beautiful woman every night. Honestly everyone thought it was a bit odd but no one dared to interrupt the Russian's alone time.

Marc on the other hand carried a baseball bat that he hammered a few nails through at the top. He felt as if it made him look like a badass. Nobody really thought he looked that bad ass though just like an all American boy with a psychotic streak. He also carried a handgun as a back up.

They were vigilant as they walked into the grocery store. Everything was going fine until they heard a commotion in the back of the building.

Raven took charge immediately and told the other two to get what they needed while he searched out the back area. They argued at first but trusted that Raven knew what he was doing.

He slowly crept around the back trying not to sneeze from all the dust in the aisles. Then stopped when he saw some gummy treats that had spongebob on them. There was no way he was leaving without those so he took three and stuffed the treats in his pocket.

Creeping around he saw something that made him shudder. He took in the situation. Four men surrounding a bloody scene. One small boy was standing with a machete drawn at the four men. He was shaking and tears were falling down his face.

The boy looked down at the bloody woman with a slit throat on the floor and more tears would fall. Raven was beside himself. He knew he needed backup and completely regretted sending Kevin and Marc away.

The four degenerates were about to attack the boy and he knew he needed to act quickly. He took one of his beloved knives and threw it at one of the guy's back.

That certainly got everyone's attention. The boy cowered to the wall while the man with a knife in his back howled out in pain. Raven smirked and thought about how much of a wimp that guy was.

He told the boy to run into the store and find his friends. The boy was unsure and terrified but decided to trust the scary man. He took off and Raven had his ax ready. He was fighting the three men but did not take into account the injured man as he crept up behind Raven with a needle. He was out like a light.

Marc and Kevin had finally gathered everything they needed when they heard someone yelling out in pain. Afraid it was Raven they ran while withdrawing their weapons. They almost got to the door when a boy who looked to be about thirteen ran out terrified and straight into Kevin.

He grabbed both men and whispered frantically that the scary man said he needed to find them and that they had to go before they were captured as well.

Marc looked around the corner and saw Raven being dragged out the back and into a van. Marc went back and recounted everything to Kevin. They agreed to follow at a distance to see where he was being taken to, then go get the others for back up.

The boy hesitated before he straightened himself up and got into the truck. He was a quiet and calm boy for sure. The two men were impressed by how mature he was.

They finally followed the van to a warehouse about an hour away from the farm in a more rural area. Kevin cursed when he saw the men throw Raven onto the ground, his head bouncing on the asphalt.

There were Soulless all over but they managed to keep them away with all the gates surrounding the building.

The men and boy drove back to the farm house to report the situation and to find a solution.

Pulling up to the house they saw Katherine and Mindy sitting on the porch drinking sweet tea without a care in the world.

Katherine is Mindy and Kevin's adopted daughter she's an adorable 12 year old with caramel colored skin, long black hair, and light blue eyes. Her mother was apart of our group until she was attacked by a Soulless and her father was never in the picture in the first place.

Mindy is Japanese with long legs and a doll like face. She and Kevin have been together since they were children.

They get up when they see Marc, Kevin, and a random boy but no sign of Raven. The boys grimace as a hello and run straight inside the home.

Vince is in the kitchen drinking a beer and writing in a journal he always keeps but never let's anyone read. He's a strange one but is very essential to the team. Vince was in a different Academy team but they had all died off when the outbreak happened so we let him into our group. He's tall and has a good amount of muscle with dark skin. He has very intense brown, almost black, eyes.

He doesn't even look up when they burst into the kitchen asking where the others are just tips his beer to the left and says living room.

They are out of breath and stressed out when the rest of the group sees them.

Axel is on the black leather recliner reading a book while Brandon and Corey are on the couch engrossed in a video game. Mika is laying on her stomach on the floor drawing something per usual.

Mika is the first to see them and quickly hops up off the ground which gains the rest of the rooms attention. She worriedly asks her brother if everything is okay and Marc just shakes his head.

Axel takes the lead and asks the men to report. After they recount the details everyone is in the room and ready to go get Raven.

Axel tells the boy, Mindy, and Katherine to stay at the farm house while they go on the rescue mission. Everyone goes to the weapons room and pulls out what they need. Mika sneaks a grenade into her pack while no one is looking. It'd be an understatement to say that she likes to see things blow up.

While everyone gets loaded up in the rusty old truck Katherine and the boy sit on the deck while Mindy gets them lemonade. The boy looks distressed so Katherine grabs his hand and asks him what his name is to get his mind off sad thoughts. His big sorrowful green eyes look back at her and says

"My name is Sam."