15: Two Women & Guns

Sang

"So, what did you guys do before the whole world went to shit?" I inquire casually while sitting on a wooden log. The night cool beneath the canopy of trees, sounds of small animals and insects encompassing the background, and the light of the fire flickering against all of our tired faces. After searching for Kevin well into the dark we decided to camp out where we landed to see if he would find us. Pushing dirty strands of my unkempt hair from my face while leaning my elbows against my knees, I look up at the group questioningly.

Mika's exhausted form is leaning against the log next to my feet, while Corey is sitting beside me. Brandon and Axel are sitting on the ground across from us, Raven is resting against a tree while sharpening his knife and Vince is glaring at me while sitting on the ground a little farther away from the group.

"We had just graduated from school. We all had our separate interests. I was into Marine Biology." Axel says

Thinking that is a bit odd because I thought he was going to say something different I let out, "hmm..."

Marc turns to me with a curious look on his face and asks,"What?"

Shaking my head slightly I say "Nothing, I would have guessed you were all in the military profession of some sort."

"Why would you think that?" Raven questions and I look over at him pensively, "I'm not sure, just the way you all carry yourselves. You obviously had previous training in fighting. Also, you move like a team that has been through a lot together and knows each others strengths and weaknesses. Just an observation."

They all look more alert now and just stare at me, "What?"

Brandon looks toward Axel and they have a small conversation with their eyes, Axel lets out a sigh and said, "Well, I guess it doesn't matter now." Confused by their statements I ask "What doesn't?"

Mika grins and looks up at me, "Have you ever heard of The Academy?"

Is this some posh private school or something? "No, can't say I have."

Vincent lets out a grunt of disgust and stomps out of the campground. What the hell is his problem now?

Rolling his eyes at Vincent's childish actions Brandon explains, "It is a secret organization put together to help people in all types of situations that the government can't or won't help."

Corey glances at me and says that they haven't heard or seen anyone else from the Academy besides Vince and he does not know anything of what happened to the elusive group. Looking around at the group I see how sad they look about it.

"Honestly, we were still hoping that the institution has not fallen." mutters Marc while staring into the fire, making his different colored eyes even more striking. Axel then states quietly, "Yeah, before coming to rescue you and Raven we were going to start packing up the farm house and try to make it to Academy Headquarters to see what is left of it. Kevin didn't want to leave, he was going to stay with Mindy and Katherine"

Everyone quiets after that and I can see just how worried everyone is for him. Shortly after that everyone goes to bed, I am sleeping on the ground next to Mika as she sleeps peacefully. One of her soft hands holding onto mine, her face soft with sweet dreams and I can't help but gaze at her.

I think back to our near kiss and the urge to press my lips against hers overcomes me. Instead of looking like a complete freak by kissing her while she is asleep I pull the hand that I am holding up to my lips and give it an adoring peck on it. Getting as comfortable as I can I slowly drift off to sleep.

Slight tickling to my nose starts to wake me up, scratching my nose I turn over and start to fall back asleep when I hear giggling.

"She's too cute."
"Do it again."

Trying not to show my amusement, I wait for the telltale tickle and yell in their faces, Marc and Mika fall in a jumble on the floor. They look so surprised that I can't help but burst into laughter, not even noticing that everyone was looking at me in awe.

They laugh with me and when we finally settle down Marc beams up at me and says, "we need to start making you laugh more. You are breathtaking."

I know I look like a tomato, to say I do not take compliments well is an understatement. Still laughing, Raven saves me from responding by putting his arm around my shoulder.

"Come on twiddle dee and twiddle dum lets get a move on!" I hear Brandon yell to the siblings on the ground. Smiling widely I look up at Raven and jolt when I see him already looking down at me with a tender expression on his face. He gives me a quick peck on the mouth and I am completely taken aback, "Raven! What the hell." I whisper shout at him while looking to see if any of the others saw.

The infuriating man just smiles at me and says "You have beautiful soul, can't help myself."

Not being able to respond to such an honest reply, I let a small smile settle on my mouth as we keep walking. My lips still tingling from his sweet kiss, these people are wedging themselves into my heart and I am unable to stop it.

We decided to leave a note for Kevin on the tree where Mila was found to meet us at the farmhouse after looking for him in the morning. Everyone looked confident that he would be there waiting for us but I know what happens to a person when they are bit. I'm afraid he is lost to us.

Later, as we are traveling through the woods, Corey joins us in the front, we are all talking nonsense but stop when Raven halts. Looking to where his eyes are we see a small white house that is stained from years of neglect. The wind passes us and the stench of death is so potent that we immediately start walking towards the house just in case there is another hoard of Soulless, the house can be our safe haven.

Raven goes into the house first, gun out and ready. We wait for his signal to come in but are impatient when we do not hear from him. I look towards Axel and he nods and we make our way to the door, weapons out and ready we rush into the house. Not prepared for what we see when we arrive to the living room area.

An older woman with stringy unkempt hair pointing a rifle at Raven and a woman about my age with a sneer on her face pointing a gun at us.

Why was luck never on our side?