Token

Author's note: Hi there everyone, it's been a while~Man, the workload of the past few weeks is crazy. I didn't get enough rest and is just super stressed out and thus the late update. You guys who are still in school should enjoy while you all still can~Anyways, hope you all will enjoy this chapter~Finally, we will have Haku back in the upcoming chapters~~happy reading everyone~^^

===========================================================

I stare in disbelief as my mother drag her weak body towards me. "Y/n...Y/n..." Sitting herself up, she cup my cheeks in her hands and starts to tear up. "It's okay...you're going to be okay...I won't let that monster hurt you." My mother struggle to put me back to my bed and starts to clean up the mess in the room, despite her feeling extremely weak. I watch her sob uncontrollably while picking up pieces of shredded curtains and sheets. Laying on my bed, unconscious, I have no idea what just happened. I can feel the pain in my heart as I watch her fragile form from behind. Finally laying on her own bed, I watch her slowly fall asleep. "So this is what she's been doing to keep me from realizing this ugly truth..."

Sitting beside her bed, I bury my face in my hands as I tear up. "I am so stupid...why didn't I notice anything. This is all my fault..." I look up to my mother again, listening to her steady her steady breathing. "Mom, I'm sorry..." Reaching out my hand, I try to caress her hand but as expected, my hand went through hers. I lean on the side the bed, watching my mother and slowly slip into sleep.

"Y/n! Y/n!! Wake up!"

Hearing a familiar voice, I rub my eyes and found myself sitting under a tree...with my college friend Emily, standing in front of me. "E...Emily? What are you doing here?" I stutter as I try to make sense of my surroundings. It looks like I came back to my college years. "Wait, I thought Emily shouldn't be able to see me?" The thought came into my mind as I look at the girl in front of me. "What did you do last night? I can't believe you managed to fall asleep here! Come on, we need to hurry for today's guest lecture!" Taking my bag in her hand, Emily starts to drag me by the hand. "What...where are we going?" Looking over her shoulder with a puzzled expression, Emily responded to my question in a slightly annoyed tone. "Did you nap too hard? Today's the guest lecture by Dr. Chihiro! She's the celebrity in the field of bio-architecture!"

"Chihiro?" I ponder about the familiar name.

Arriving at the lecture hall, Emily quickly run towards the front seats while dragging me along with her. Loads of students came in, clearly excited for the guest lecture. The door swing open and our lecturer came in and is slightly surprised by the big amount of students in the hall. "Good afternoon, students. Please welcome our guest lecture today, Dr. Chihiro." A lady in her twenties, with brown hair down to her shoulder came into the hall. I stare in shock, as the hall is filled with thundering applause. "Chihiro...it really is her..."

"And now is the Q & A session. Please come forward and use the mic if you would like to ask any question." The chairperson announced, after Chihiro finishes her talk. "Dr. Chihiro, may I know what makes you remain so motivated?" With a gentle smile on her face, she ponder about the question and slowly answer. "Well...whenever I feel stressed out, I think about what made me started this journey in the beginning..." Touching a purple band on her wrist, she smiles wider at the audience. "I met someone very special when I was young...and that person made me understand many things about the world. He made me realize that we humans are to live harmoniously with the environment, but not try to dominate and exploit it for the sake of our own selfish needs. With those thoughts in mind, I always manage to pick myself up and continue to strive hard for my work."

Throughout the entire lecture, I could only stare at her. "Thank you for having me here today. I hope we all will be able to work together for a better environment and a better world." The hall is filled with another round of applause. I quickly run out the hall, ignoring the confused Emily behind.

"Dr. Chihiro!" I call out to her. "Oh hi, how can I help you?" In an eloquent voice and a small smile on her face, she asks. "This might sound weird to you but...I hope you know that the person you mentioned during the talk will be very proud of you and your work..." Slightly taken aback by my words, she stared at me for a while. Taking a deep breath, I continue. "And I hope you'll understand that the person wanted to keep that promise very badly...he tried his best...but he just couldn't..." I look up to her face again and is surprised to see her tearing up. "I thought he forgot about our promise..." Wiping her tears, she break into a smile again.

"If it's not too much of a trouble, please give this to him." Taking the purplish band on her wrist, she place it in my hand. "But, why don't you go see Haku again?" "I've tried going back to that place, but it just didn't work...A few years later, I stopped going and eventually moved to another city. But, the memories remain fresh in my head and they became my motivation. I'm getting married soon..." She shows me the ring on her ring finger. "All these won't happen without that magical encounter. Please, tell him that I know he's tried his best..."

"Y/n!" Clutching the purplish band in my hand, I turn to look behind me as I heard my name being called.

"Haku?"