Chapter 3

When I walked inside, my phone lit up. It was Sidney.

Penguincaptain: hey im sorry for what i said earlier.

I put him in as Penguincaptain becuase he is the captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Me: it's cool. It was really all on me. I got pissed at brandon (Not my brother, your teammate.) and took it out on him and you.

Pengiuncaptain: Well...will ya come back to B-Dubs plz??

Me: no. I have to pack for an 3:30 am flight.

Penguincaptain: No fucking way. Not at 3:30. You need your sleep.

Me: Well I guess not. Gtg

I turned off my phone and went to go sew my jersey back together.

"Dammit. I tore it up! Shit!" I yelled.

"What happened?!" Brandon ran in.

"Uh I tore my Crosby jersey in half. You okay?" He nodded.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Night." I nodded and he left.

***

"Dammit! I'm not calling Crosby. He now probably hates me." I went down to get some food from the kitchen.

"Why are you home so late?" My dad asked.

"Dad, my job?" He nodded.

"Yeah. So New York..." I stared at him cold.

"New York nothing. I'm leaving a few hours for New York. And you can't say shit about it!" I opened the fridge.

"Kelsey Paige Dixon, you watch your mouth!" He yelled.

"Now I know why mom wants to divorce you, you rule freak!" I yelled back.

We stopped when my mom came in.

"I'm leaving." I decided to skip out in my interview and go back with Sidney.

***

"Hello? Hey it's me. Uh yeah. Can I come back? I'm...Sidney, what I said earlier was...it was really shitty. And-. No I will not. Well he deserved getting yelled at! I'll see you in 10." I hung up.

I walked down to the B-Dubs in battery park. "Hi. I'm here with Sidney Cros-." Someone waved me over.

"Hi...oh where'd Sidney go?" I asked.

"He got sick." Awe.

"Oh. That sucks."

I wished he were here, so I wouldn't have to sit next to Sutter.

"You want anything to eat?" Beau asked me.

"Sure. I usually get wings and their amazingly tasty fries." He smiled.

It wasn't one of those million dollar smiles, but it was cute.

"Hey will you order for me? I want a half-pound of buffalo wings with fries and really hot, hot sauce please." I asked.

"Yeah." Beau was literally super awesome and nice.

I went to go find Sidney.

***

I eventually found him in the Penguins locker room at Colson Energy Center.

"Sid what the hell are you doing in the locker room? Sutter said you weren't feeling well?" I asked.

"I'm fine. I just felt like coming and sitting here." I took his word.

"Whatever. I'm not going to New York." He looked at me, with shock and concern on his face and in his eyes.

"Why? Was it because of what I said?" He put his arm around me. I rested my head onto his shoulder.

"No. Not you. I just can't take it. When I had called the other day to confirm my interview, the lady on the phone briefed me about my job. She said 'many people complain of how slow things can get around here. If you like slow, and relaxed, then welcome to ESPN sweetheart. But if not, I wouldn't bother coming to New York.' So I told her I'll take the interview."

I feel like I've just lied to the lady on the phone last Tuesday.

"Well...all I can really say is...go to the interview in New York. I'll come with you if you want." OMG! Sidney Crosby will come with me to my job interview?! YES!

"Please come with me, unless you guys have a game or something tomorrow. And hey, come back to B-Dubs. Sutter thinks you're sick." He smiled as we walked out.

"We play the Islanders tomorrow, so I'll just tell the coach that I'm leaving a day early."

"Thanks." We looked at each other before me grabbed my hands.

"What?" I asked.

"You have really pretty eyes." Uh...

"Okay...? So...do..." I stopped when I saw Brandon Sutter walking towards us. "Shit. Sid, we've gotta hide." I led him inside the arena and jumped behind the concession counter.

"Stay calm. He's probably just gonna go make some slapshots." l hoped he was right.

***

"Don't stop believin! Hold onto that-. Wait. Wasn't Crosby here?" Shit. "Hey Sid! You still here?!" Luckily he didn't see us behind the bar, or we would've been dead.

"Stay down," I whispered.

"No?! Alright. Feel better man!" I was confused. Was he sick or not?

"He's gone. But seriously, are you-?" He jumped out before I could finish.

"No. I'm fine. Sutter just thinks that because he can. Because he thinks he can." We walked out of there with no one trailing behind us.

***

"So why did you tell me I have really pretty eyes? They are a dumb shade of brown." He put his arm around me.

"Because I just wanted to say it. I get like that. I'll say something random and then me and the guys start laughing." I smiled.

***

I started to grow a liking for Sidney Crosby more and more as we see each other. Not that I would tell anyone, since it's been known sicne he came to us in 2005.

I looked at the TV screen and realized how gorgeous he was.

But now that I've met him, I can't say it out loud. At least to Sid I can't.