Chapter 4

"Where are you taking me?" I asked as we ran down Fifth Street.

"Back to Battery Park. Where else would I take you?" Home.

"Nowhere." I smiled.

***

"Hey look who decided to show up." Pyatt smirked.

"Real funny Taylor. Real funny. You know you're as funny as a funeral?

"Funerals aren't...HEY! Shut the fuck up!" I swear to god, a fight was gonna break out.

"Guys stop it. I'm really tired, and the last thing I need/want is for my favorite team to fight at B-Dubs." They stopped as soon as I said 'favorite team.'

***

"Well thanks for dinner, but I've got a plane to catch. And Sidney's my ride." I secretly smiled.

"Yeah. Oh Sutter, by the way, you're payin. Later! Tell coach I'll be in New York a day early." He put his arm around me as we walked out.

"Don't you need your hockey stuff? Like your jersey, stick, helmet, skates?" I asked.

"Yeah. That's why I'm taking you home and then going to get my stuff."

"Where's my bag? Oh shit. I'm screwed." I saw Sidney pull up in a red Ford Explorer. "Just a sec!" I called. I ran upstairs to grab some clothes and my bag and got in the car.

"This is a nice ride, but...a Ford? Why?" I asked. He shrugged.

"Ehh. I have no idea." I closed my eyes and tried to get back some sleep that I've lost. "You alright? You look tired?" I nodded.

"That's cause I am." I rested my head onto the ledge of the window.

"I wish I never said yes to New York." He looked at me.

"What do you mean? You were all happy about it at B-Dubs in Battery Park." I was.

"Well...I was but..." I looked out of the window.

"But what?" He asked.

"Nothing. Just keep driving."

***

When we got to the airport, I was way beyond tired. I was passed out in the passenger side.

"Wake up. C'mon. You-I mean we have a plane to catch." I slowly opened my eyes.

"How long-? Never mind." I got my bags and headed for terminal 4.

***

"Flight 1056 to New York City is now boarding. Flight 1056 to New York City is now boarding."

"That's us." I grabbed my stuff and walked slowly to our flight. "Are you sure you want to come on this flight with me? I mean I still want you coming along, but...won't fans like come up to you?"

"You're new at this sports thing aren't you?" He smiled again.

I swear to god, every time he smiles, I get this feeling inside. It's a weird feeling, but I get this feeling.

"I'm...no. I'm not new, I just don't know." He put his arm around me as some girls walked up.

"Oh my god! Sidney we love you!" They squealed.

"Thanks guys. I love you guys too!" He signed some autographs and then we walked away.

"I know those girls. One of them is Jenna Parker. She was in my 8th grade class at Moore." She turned around.

"Yes? Kelsey?! Oh my god!" I looked at Jenna.

"Yes hi! How are you?" Sidney kept walking.

"Good! Hey I have to get on my flight, but it was great seeing you." We hugged.

"Are you two dating?" Was she talking about me and Sidney?

"Who me and Sidney Crosby? Oh no. No we aren't. Bye."

"What was that all about?" He asked.

"Nothing. She asked if we were dating. And I said no." He looked over at me.

"Why would she think that?" I shrugged.

"Well for a few seconds...we were standing next to each other. But who cares? I'm going to try and get some sleep, god forbid I get any at all."

I could see the huge centermen skating towards me.

She's got the puck, she's got the ice now under control.

I can feel her breathing down my neck as she crashes into me.

I fall into the net with the puck in my hands. I raised my hand with the puck, but Mackie slapped into the net. Cheater.

"IT'S NO GOOD!" Some yell. "THE GOALIE GOT PUSHED! OF COURSE IT'S NOT GOOD!" Others yell.

"THE PLAY IS UNDER REVIEW!" The announcer yells.

"IT'S NO GOOD!" I yelled. "Oh my god. I'm so sorry." I muttered.

I have this recurring dream where I was the goalie for our hockey game at Lowe.

Mackie Nichols was the centermen at Lowe when I was at Bridgestone. I was a really good goalie, but she crashed into me before I could find out if the goal was a goal or not. I was in the hospital for a few weeks.

***

"Hey. What was-?" I cut him off.

"Nothing. Just a dream." I closed my eyes again.

It was already Tuesday when we landed. It's been a week since I last spoke to ESPN, and now I have to go back? Damn.

"Hey get up! C'mon!" I couldn't. "COACH! SHE'S DOWN!" Catie yelled.

I jolted awake when I heard Catie English yell. "Sid, I'm so sorry." He hugged me.

"Hey it's cool. What was it about?" I didn't want to talk about it.

"Hockey."