Chapter 5

"Hockey? Kelsey, really?" He looked at me in the eyes. "Talk." I couldn't.

"Back at Bridgestone high school, I was the goalie for the Bridgestone Lady Wheelers. We had our rival game against the Lowe Lady Blitzers, and there was this girl named Mackie, and she was really good. So when I was at the goal, she came thundering towards me, with the puck in her control, and slammed me into the net. Causing me to be hospitalized for a few days." I said too much too soon.

"Why is that bad? Oh I get it. You won't play because...you know what? I think the coach is calling me." I smiled to show that I was okay.

"It's fine, really it is. Look, we land in a bit, so I'm gonna stay awake." I rested my head on to his shoulder.

"Was it that bad? The game I mean?" I nodded my head.

"Yeah. She slammed me so hard into the net that I lost my memory for 3 weeks." Maybe I lied about the hospital thing, but...whatever. "And no, that's not why I won't play, I just don't want to." He smiled.

"I'm getting you back on the ice. Rockefeller Center. I hope you-." The pilot came on and told us we were about to land.

"Let me get your stuff for you." He was trying to be nice only because I was tired.

"Thanks." I yawned.

"Well...I'll got to the hotel, it's the team hotel, and we'll meet up later?" I nodded.

"Yeah. Sure." I yawned again.

***

"ESPN Headquarters. Well...this is it." I walked inside and found the front desk.

"Hello. I'm Kelsey Dixon. I had an interview today?" She checked over a few papers and then handed me a clipboard.

"Here's a few things you'll need to fill out in order to work here." I all of a sudden felt really small.

Is this what you really wanted? Is working at ESPN really what you wanted? You just met Sidney Crosby, give him a chance.

I had a million things racing through my head. Would I take this job? Or not would I not? Would I commit to a relationship with-?

"Kelsey Dixon?" I smiled as I got up.

"That's me." I handed him the clipboard as well as a note from Keith Montey, my editor.

"So," he started saying as we walked down a hallway.

"You want to work with us here at ESPN, is that correct?" I nodded.

"Yes sir." He led me into an office.

Looks just like the conference room on The Office. I thought.

"Let's review. Date of birth?"

"1989."

"Any siblings?"

"Yes. One. Brandon Dixon."

"Where are you from?"

"Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania."

"And it says here that you were the head writer of the newspaper for Pittsburgh am I correct?" I nodded.

"Here are some articles I wrote. My editor, Keith, wanted me to bring these to you." He examined each one carefully and thoroughly.

"These are all excellent. Just what ESPN is looking for. You're hired."

It was all surreal. Only like a few seconds into it and I'm on the team! I had to call Sidney and tell him. Or text...whatever works, right?

***

"Well Miss Dixon, it was a pleasure interviewing you. Your first assignment will be to interview the captain of the Penguins and Islanders tomorrow morning." Oh my god. I wasn't going to say I knew Sidney already, but oh my fucking god!

"Thank you so much. What time tomorrow?" He looked at his watch, then the clock, back at his watch, then at me.

"8:00 am sharp." I nodded.

***

"Hey Sid will you come get me?" I asked.

"Yeah." He sounded tired.

"Were you sleeping?" I asked.

"Kinda." He replied.

"Well...I'll walk back. Save you time." He was alert now.

"No. I'll come pick you up." That was the Sidney I was used to.

"Hey." He smiled.

"Hi. How'd the interview go?" I shrugged.

"Ehh. It was fine. I GOT THE JOB!"