Chapter 15

3 WEEKS LATER

SIDNEY'S POV

I haven't heard from Kelsey in 3 weeks. It's kinda sad that she won't talk to me like ever. Ever since the whole 'hockey incident' thing.

"Snap out of it Sid. She's gone."

"We don't know that," I snapped. "We? No you don't know that. I know exactly where she is. She's back here in Steel City, dating someone else." What?!

"Let me get this straight, she's dating someone else?!" Sutter was laughing.

"Nah hahaha. I was only playin with you." I felt somewhat relieved.

I decided to call her and see if she would talk to me.

"Hello?"

"Yeah? Why do you want to talk to me? All I'm good for is winning an argument."

"Well...that's part of the reason. But I miss you. I want you to come back with the Penguins. Kelsey, I love you."

"Yeah. Me too."

She didn't sound too sincere.

"Really? Or are you just saying that?"

"Sid, I'm really not wanting to talk right now. I have a boatload of work to do, and my head is killing me."

"We need to talk."

"No. Sid we really don't. I'm not being the best girlfriend right now to you, and I just...I just can't keep going on like this. I'm sorry." She was now crying. Great.

"Hey, hey, hey, don't cry. Please. I love you, and you're not a terrible girlfriend."

"Y-yes I-I am Sidney."

She hung up. So I texted her.

ME: what's wrong? Please talk to me.

KD: nothing Sid. Just leave me alone

ME: not until u tell me what's wrong baby

KD: NOTHING!! Please just leave me alone

ME: No. Please talk to me. u haven't talked to me in 3 weeks.

KD: Maybe i did that for a reason.

Well she wasn't telling me her reasons.

KD: my parents are officially divorced and my brother won't even talk to me.

ME: sucks doesn't it?

KD: yeah. Look I'm really sorry baby. I'm not the best girlfriend and I'm sorry. I think we should break up.

ME: don't say that. You know I love you to pieces. Why would you want to break up with me?! I love you so much Kelsey:)

KD: I'm so done. I'm sorry, really, I am.

ME: no. We're not done. R u back in Pittsburgh??

KD: yeah. I'm down at Consol energy center.

ME: y??

KD: bc I am.

ME: I'll be down there in a bit.

I was really worried about Kelsey.

KD: k bye

KELSEY'S POV

I was wide awake after work only because I kept drinking Red Bull.

"Shit. My head is killing me." I said that just as Sidney walked in.

"Hi." He smiled. I guess to get me to smile.

"Hey." He walked over to me and pulled me in for a tight hug.

"Thanks for that. I really needed that," I lied.

"Talk."

We sat on the home players' bench.

"About what?" I asked.

"Anything. Oh yeah, why have you avoided me?" I turned away. I'm not doing this again.

"Sidney, I'm sorry, but I'm not the perfect girlfriend that you've been wanting out of me. And I'm sorry for that. Can we just forget about this? I'm super tired." He put his arm around me.

"Yeah. Do you want to crash at my place?" I nodded.

"That's fine."

***

We walked in and I went for the couch.

"Thanks Sid," I said without smiling.

"Why won't you smile again? I like it when you smile. It makes me a happier player and person when you smile." I ignored it. "Kelsey, please don't be like this." I sat up.

"Alright. What is it that you want out of me? Information? Me being a better person? Anything?" He started rubbing my back.

"Yes. I just want to know why you all of a sudden hate me. It's like I've said something I shouldnt've and now you hate me to pieces." I rested my head onto his shoulder.

"Do you remember when you asked me on the plane about hockey at Brigestone?" He nodded.

"Yeah."

"Well, you asked me about it again a few days later, and I told you I wasn't opening up to you about that anymore. That's what got me so mad." He kissed my forehed.

"I'm sorry baby, I just really wanted to know why what happened at Bridgestone makes you so damn insecure about being a goalie."

He already knew.

"Because, what Mackie did could easily be redone in the NHL by another player, which it did. And now, I feel so insecure about what happened two nights ago." He looked at me with a serious look.

"Why? Baby, I love you. Please don't feel like that." He kissed me to try and make me feel better.

"Thanks but, I think I'll just go home and get some sleep." He put a hand on my shoulder to keep me on the couch.

"No just sleep here. Please? I miss you." I sighed before agreeing.

"But I'm on the couch." He was fine with that.

A few hours later, I was laying on the couch, trying to talk to my low-life brother.

ME: hey

ME: hi

ME: hello

ME: mom died

ME: whatever

ME: I hate u so fucking much...u won't even talk to me anymore!!

Sid had woken up by then. "What's wrong?" I turned a light on.

"Nothing. I'm good," I lied.

"You look tired. Go back to bed. I'll be fine."

He slumped down into the chair.

"Yeah I am. I can't even sleep anymore." Was it because of me?

"Was it because of me?" I asked going over and sitting with him.

"No. Not you. Other things that I'm not really worried about." He looked at the clock.

"Are you sure?" I felt his forehead. "You feel Kinda warm. You sure you're okay?" He smiled.

"I'm just fine," he sighed.

"Go back to bed. You need your sleep, more so than me." He blinked a few times before slowly getting up.

"Thanks doctor." I smiled.

"I knew I could get you to smile!" He weakly smiled back.

"Bed. Go," I instructed.

***

I was finally settled on the couch before I got a text from Brandon.

BD: I'm sure u do hate me. The one who still loves u more than that crybaby kid Crosby.