The Mysterious Lore

Billy, Jay and I have a great time wandering around the small town, gathering footage of the streetscape, checking out the sights, and goofing off. The only strange thing is that no one we meet will admit knowing anything about Gorey House.

After four hours of videotaping, wandering, and talking, we stop in a gas station to grab sodas. As Billy has with everyone we meet, he asks the attendant if she knows anything about the Gorey House. She gets a nervous look in her eyes, but shakes her head no.

"Okay, we've done our job," Billy announces. "Let's hit up that fudge shop we saw on the way back to the hotel."

I look from Billy to the attendant. She won't meet my eyes, and start to feel a hunch.

"Sounds good," I say. "I'll catch up with you guys in a minute."

I wait for them to leave the store, and then turn to the attendant. She looks at me,
The woman touches a cross necklace that I didn't notice before.

"What do you want with that place?" she asks.

"I'm going to stay there overnight," I explain. She starts shaking her head halfway through your explanation.

"Don't do it," she says.

"Why?" I ask.

"Just don't do it," she insists. I must have looked skeptical because she looked around, and then leaned close to me.

"That house is cursed," she says. "People disappear there all the time. They say demons come out of the walls at night."

What she says sounds crazy, but her expression is completely serious. She opens her mouth as if to say more, but the door to the store opens. She leans away from me quickly and starts to talk cheerfully to the man who has just walked in. We leave, sensing she won't tell us anything more.

In the sunlight on the sidewalk, her story seems unbelievable, but I remember how insistent she seemed. Demons come out of the walls. This is more than just ghosts.

I think about what the attendant said and walk slowly down the sidewalk. Demons are scary stuff . . . but the crew has faced them before. Besides, if it gets too crazy, I can leave—Billy reassured me of that when I talked to him earlier.

I square my shoulders, my decision made.

Demons or not, we're going on this lockdown.

I quickly catch up to Billy and Jay at the fudge shop and snag some sugar-free treats before heading back. I don't want to get left behind—and besides, that fudge looked good. When we get back to the fudge shop, it tastes as good as it looked. Billy, Jay and I get our sugar buzz on and laugh like kids all the way back to the hotel.

Once there, the three of us chow on some dinner at the hotel's bistro and chat through the night. But I grow more fatigued as the night wore on since when I drove here, I retire to my hotel room and get a text from Billy that the guys are here. And as much as I would love to talk to my friends, I assure myself that I'll see them in the morning to be in top shape for the lockdown...especially if it is as active as rumors claims it is.