Lockdown Part 2

I climb the stairs with Nick, who's headed to the parlor. I must look nervous, because Nick pats my shoulder before he goes up into the hall.

"Don't worry," he says. "Me and Aaron will be right there if you need us."
I thank him, a little embarrassed, and then he trots into the parlor. I'm all alone, with a hallway of closed doors to choose from.

I poke through the rooms. They're partially renovated—some have peeling paint or exposed walls, and others have wires dangling from the ceiling. Paint cans are piled in one room; another has a single chair sitting in the corner. The doors squeak and creak as I open them.
The only room that's mostly intact is the bathroom. There's even toilet paper in the holder.
Noting the bathroom's location for later, I walk back down the hall, and peer into another room with one chair. I feel as though I've been drawn to this room, and walk to the middle. As I turn around slowly, I notice that a hole has been knocked into one of the walls near the floor. I feel strangely drawn to the hole in the wall, as if there's a secret hiding inside.

I notice that the faceplate for an electrical outlet is sitting a few feet away from the hole, as if someone didn't finish installing it. I use your flashlight to take a better look at the hole, and see two electrical wires sticking out. I gingerly push them aside with the faceplate for the outlet, and then reach inside.

Sticky cobwebs brush my fingers, but I tough it out and my fingers touch a piece of stiff paper. I pull out a black-and-white photograph of a young man and woman in turn-of-the-century clothes, posing stiffly for the camera. I look around, wondering if I were drawn to the photo.

Sitting cross legged and set my voice recorder in front of me, next to the photograph.
"Did you lead me to this photograph?" I ask. When I don't hear anything for a few minutes, I keep asking questions. "Are the people in this photograph haunting this house? Or did you know these people? Were you related?"

I look down at the photograph, and although my flashlight is off and the room is dark, I seem to be able to see it anyway. In fact, I seeing details now that I didn't see before; somehow, I can even tell that the photograph was taken just a few yards from this house, near a tree that was cut down to build the house across the street.
I'm not ready to go poking in any of those dark doorways yet, so I pull out your voice recorder. I say my name and the location, and then pause. From the corner of my eye, I thought I saw something moving.

It's probably just a headlight outside, I tell myself as I move toward the doorway. But when I push open the door, I see that the only window in the room faces the hillside behind the house. I shiver and look for an animal or a shiny surface, but can't find any source for the shadow. I return to the place you were standing before and turn on my voice recorder again.

Nick wouldn't back down from this...

I tell myself, and take a deep breath.

"Tell me your name," I say.

A cool draft seems to blow right on my neck, and shiver.

"Is that you?" I ask, and despite my good intentions, I think about retreating downstairs. I look up from my night vision screen and look at all the doorways surrounding me. All the doors are partly open, showing the dark rooms beyond. It occurs to me that they look like open graves, and I shiver violently.

"Screw this," I mutter, and decide to leave. But I'm reluctant to turn my back to all those doors.

I turn my back on the hallway and, even though my neck hairs feel like they're all on end, I walk slowly and carefully to the stairs, then down.

I hear Nick come down the staircase from the parlor and talk to me, and I feel like I'm only half-awake almost as though we're waking up from a dream. I hide the photograph in my pocket as a reflex, thinking I might go back later to do some EVP sessions with the photograph later in the night.

When we get to the first floor, I turn off my EVP recorder and shiver violently all over. I feel like I've walked out of a room full of cobwebs. I look around the front hall and into the living room and dining room, but don't see Nick. The EM pump is still set up on a coffee table in the living room.

I head to the back of the house, passing through the kitchen, to the garage. I can hear Aaron talking in a whisper and assume that Zak has come up out of the basement, but when I open the door, its just Aaron. He points his camera at me, and then waves.

"Hey," he says. "How's the second floor?"

"Creepy," I said.

"Yeah, me and—" Aaron turns and stops in mid-sentence, then turns back to me. "I swear I was just talking to the lady that owns the house . . ."

I help Aaron search the garage, but all the doors are securely closed, except the one I came through. Together, we review Aaron's camera. The video shows an empty space while Aaron talks—except for a dark blob that appears and disappears.

"I swear, the lady was right there," Aaron insists.

Aaron radios Billy, who meets us both at the front door. I pass him Aaron's camera, then Aaron checks the equipment bags for a spare. I hold the flashlight while he's looking.

Aaron and I split up and bring Nick and Zak to the garage, where we review the video together. Zak radios Billy to ask if he's seen anyone walking around the property, and the four of us search the inside of the house for any place a person might hide.

We return to the other rooms, using all our senses to be alert for messages from any spirits hiding in the house, but nothing happens. I return to the room with the chair and sit down to rest my tired feet. Before I know it, Nick is shaking me awake, smiling.

"You're the first person we've ever had fall asleep in a haunted house," he says.

I'm so glad that night vision doesn't show blushes as I follow Nick downstairs; we meet up with the others. When no one turns up anything, we decide to take a break.

As I go to answer nature's call, I remind them that I'll be right back. The toilet works. As I'm running water over my hands, I feel a prickling at the back of my neck and my stomach drops. I look up, into the old, foggy mirror, and see a ghostly figure standing behind me. When I meet its eyes, it reaches for me.

"DAHH!! OH MY GOD!!!"

I screech at the top of my lungs, making the guys sprint upstairs. I tell them what I saw, reminding Nick of his experience at Linda Vita Hospital. Shaken, I describe what I just saw, repeat my story again on camera.

The guys believe me, Nick and Zak suggest I take it easy and calm down while they search the rooms. My heart is pounding a mile a minute and I can't catch my breath, feeling the fluids gushing through my airways. I wait patiently, but nothing happens until I hear the rest of the guys returning from their separate investigations on the other rooms. It sounds like not much has been happening elsewhere in the house either, so I rejoin them at base to munch an apple and down a bottle of water with the guys.