The Hotel Meeting

As I awake and stretch in the morning glow of the sun, I decide to head down to the lobby for my complimentary hotel breakfast. I hope the guys are down there—or even if they'll be awake yet. As I walk down the stairs in soft cozy slippers, I see an array of breakfast foods including a waffle maker. As I finish baking a waffle and place it beside my bacon and scrambled eggs, I just finished pouring maple syrup when I see a familiar face clickty-clacking on a laptop. Nick is sitting in the lobby with a cup of tea, sipping it as the steam swirls upwards.

Smiling, I decide to sleekly reunite with my prized friend. "Well, I bet that's a nice way to stay warm in this cool weather."

His ears perk up and see my face, smiling back.

"Hey, how's it going?"

We shake hands and sit down at his table; we talk for a few minutes about our journeys to get here and what's been going on in our lives. Nick seems nice, but distracted; as I mention the little I've learned about the house, Nick gets a text. He let me finish before excusing himself to make a phone call. I try not to listen in, but overhear bits and pieces of the conversation—something's made him upset.

When he returns to the table, he asks me if I'd like to come with him to wake up Zak and Aaron, maybe learn more about the audio/video equipment we'll be using with Billy and Jay. I decide to join in on a prank to wake them; knowing Billy and Jay are setting up equipment.
Excited to make our own GAC prank, I wait for Nick to pack up his laptop, and then head to the elevator together. He checks his phone again while we're riding up, and makes a face at what he reads. Not wanting to snoop, I decide to leave him be when the elevator doors open. We film it on your phones, reminding me of the Cookie Man vlog.

"Zak and I stay on this side, and Aaron's over there," Nick says. "He snores like a chainsaw."

I laugh and follow him as he knocks on a door, and dash behind a wall nearby. Barely noticing us behind the wall, Zak's annoyed as usual cause we both disturbed his morning hair routine. Aaron falls for the knock and dash, baffled that someone could knock then disappear causing a rush of snickers and quiet high fives between us.

As Aaron and Zak come down the lobby for coffee and breakfast, Nick leads me to a room on the first floor where Billy and Jay are surrounded by cables and batteries. As Billy and Jay show you the various pieces of equipment the crew uses on the show, I recognize a great deal of them from voice recorders to infrared cameras. But there's some newer equipment in our arsenal.

I'm quickly reminded how much work goes into putting together an episode—when they tell me how many hours of audio and video they go through, looking for evidence, my jaw drops. I help them match charged batteries to cameras, and they begin talking about the rumors they've heard about the house.

"I heard there have been at least three documented disappearances connected to the house," Billy says.

"Plus two murders," Jay adds. I mention how hard it was for me to find any information about the house.

"I guess not too many people survived to talk about what they saw," Billy jokes.

"I'm glad I'm not going in there," Jay says under his breath, then looks at me guiltily. I laugh nervously.

"It's cool," Billy reassures me. "We'll watch out for you from the command post."

Somehow, I don't find that totally reassuring . . .

Before the conversation can get any more awkward, there's a knock at the door. It's time for a crew meeting.

We head to the lobby, paying attention when Zak turns to us. The crew is splitting up: Zak, Nick, Aaron and myself are headed to the Gorey House to do a walkthrough and interview the homeowners. Billy and Jay will go out and get B roll shots for the show to cut through. The guys and I head across town while Billy and Jay venture off.

The four of us pile into the white van with the GAC insignia on the window, Nick drives while the three of us goof off to various music on their iPhone playlists as the ride takes time, maybe I can shoot some ridiculous Aaron's vlogs while we're at it.