Lockdown Part 3

I tread back through the dark and pull out my recorder in the living room and turn it on.

"Uh, hi," I hesitate to say. "Is anyone in this room with me? Can you come over and talk to me? Maybe sit on the couch next to me?"

I divide my attention between my night vision screen and the dark room around me. I quickly notice that I can see well in the dark if I let my eyes adjust without looking at the camera screen.

I'm not about to sit alone in the dark in a haunted house. I keep my eyes on the glowing night vision screen. I keep asking questions and waiting for answers, but despite all the scary stories I've heard about the house, nothing seems to be happening. Do I explore the rest of the first floor, or stay close to the EM pump?

With a quick look around to memorize the positions of the furniture, I decide to close the video screen. It's hard to see in the dark room, but at first, it's less creepy than looking through the video screen—which my instincts have been telling me will show me some spooky things.

I ask a few more questions with my recorder running, but I don't pick up anything with my own ears. My mind wanders to the thought of what this episode will look like when it's edited together—will I catch any evidence that will make it into the show? At this rate, I start to doubt it.

Creaking noises come from the hall—someone's walking on the boards. For a second, I'm excited, thinking that my chance has finally come, but a familiar bulky shape appears in the doorway.

"Hey, Aaron," I said.

"Hey," he says back.

"Come sit with me," I say. Aaron—who must have set his camera down in another room—crosses the room and sits down next to me, then leans forward and waves his hand over the EM pump. I laugh, embarrassed.

"Yeah, I did that too," I admit.

"It seems like you should be able to feel it, you know?" Aaron nods.

My eyes apparently haven't adjusted as well as I thought they had, because I can't see Aaron's face.

"Find anything upstairs?" I ask. Aaron shrugs. "Yeah, not much here, either," I say. "Does that ever happen? Stuff just doesn't happen?"

Aaron nods.

I start getting a weird feeling about this conversation.

I slowly turn the camera in Aaron's direction while trying to think of something to say. "So, uh, what's the craziest thing that's ever happened on a lockdown?" I ask. Aaron seems to be thinking for a moment, then, between one blink and the next, he's gone.

"Ho!! WHAT THE F(bleep)!!?"

I yell and throw myself sideways, off the couch. Nick and Aaron come running to find out what's the matter, and tell them what happened. When we review the tape later, I find that the dark shape that I thought was Aaron and all your responses were caught on the tape.

"Do you think I'll shoot something that'll end up on the show?" I ask Aaron.

"Yeah," he says.

"Cool," I say. "It'd be awesome if I got to be part of it."

"You already are." Nick retorted with smirk, teasing me. "What would we do without you, catching solid evidence like that?"

Smiling in a glow, my heart still throbbing from my doppelganger experience.

Resuming the investigation, I return to the second floor.

"Why do you haunt this house?" I ask, surprising myself—it wasn't the question I thought I was going to ask. I pan my night-vision camera across the hall, half-expecting to see a ghostly figure lurch out from one of the rooms.