Chapter 2

Picture of Roman

  What am I going to do? I was sitting in the bottom of the shower. I have been crying since I got home. Roman was still downstairs talking with whoever was here; he hasn't come up once since we walked in the door. That's typical Roman. He'll be up in the next few hours apologizing and making fake promises again.

What could have possibly happened to him to make him such a monster? It’s like sometimes he is nice but there is something in him that has forced him to become a terrible person. I know we could have had the perfect relationship. He had showed me he could be the best man in the world. For the first six months after my birthday everything was perfect. He was perfect.

  Roman used to take me on romantic dates, he used to be there for me when I needed him, and he never did anything to hurt me. Then slowly but surely he started to change. I couldn't talk to anyone without him getting angry. He cut me off from everyone but him; I don't have any friends or anyone I can talk to.

I used to have many friends, the best friends. Roman made me tell everyone that I didn't need them, that he was the only person that I would ever need. He made me tell my friends that I couldn't hang out with them anymore. That was the hardest thing I ever had to do. I need my friends more than I need him. Maybe I can call Dena and Marty. 

   Dina and Marty are mates; they were also my best friends at one point. We've all known each other our entire lives. We were all a part of the same pack. When I told Dina what Roman had told me to say she just looked at me and said, "Denae, you don't mean that. I know he told you to tell us that." She wasn't mad, but her face leaked sadness. "If you ever need anything you know we're always here for you."

 She was partly right. When I told Marty, he stormed out of the house cursing, he called me an ungrateful bitch and said that he and Dina should have never gave me a chance. He told me that I was the worst friend anyone could ever have. He made me feel worse than Roman did.

   I jumped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around my body. I was really sore. I had a couple of bruises on my chest, arms and legs. Roman's fingerprints had started to fade on my neck. He had choked me last week because I didn't want to attend the pack meeting. I had morning sickness and I was so tired. I could hardly keep my eyes open.

He grabbed my throat and pinned me to the wall. I clawed at his hands, trying to break free. “You are coming with me and that is final. Denae you are very bad at following rules. When I tell you to do something you do it. Do you understand me?" I couldn't speak because I couldn't breathe. I nodded at him and he released me. I fell to the floor gasping for air. 

   I looked in the mirror at myself; my eyes were all red and puffy. Some from crying and some from Roman. I used to think I was beautiful, my hair is a reddish-brown color and it stops below my shoulders, my eyes are light brown but when they catch the light the right way the turn jet black. I used to have a nice body, I was curvy but in shape.

 Being a wolf means you have more muscle. Now when I look in the mirror I disgust myself. I'm skinny because I stopped eating as much, my eyes are all dark and depressed, and my hair is terrible. Roman was right, I am ugly. I've always been ugly, I was just fooling myself.