Chapter 3

I took a quick shower and dressed myself in a loose-fitting, long sleeve black shirt and a pair of light-colored jeans. I don't want to wear anything tight because I have a bit of baby bulge. I went into the bathroom and applied the heavy mask of makeup to hide the bruises and black eye.

I feel like a clown. I have to use so much to cover what's there, I can feel it heavy on my face. I slid my shoes on and headed downstairs. I instantly smelled food cooking in the kitchen. The aroma kind of carried me there, like when Scooby Doo and Shaggy smell food and they float to the site.

Roman was cooking breakfast; I seated myself at the bar. "What are you making?" I asked him. I was starving. My stomach rumbled. I rubbed my belly. "It's OK baby, mom will feed you." I thought.

'Or daddy.' My wolf said. I cursed her and blocked her out.

"Pancakes, bacon, and eggs." He said turning around from the stove with my plate. He was still shirtless and my wolf was taking advantage of this opportunity. I looked over his body quickly and back to his face. He smiles a smile I had never seen before. Roman hardly ever smiled. He looked cheerful by the face but his eyes were still angry.

 Why were his eyes always angry? What did he really have to be mad about? He has everything he's ever wanted and he's alpha. He walked over to me and put the plate down in front of me. I jumped when he leaned over quickly and kissed my head.

"Thank you." I whispered, picking up the fork. He was seriously acting strange. This is the nicest he's been in a year. I am a little afraid; this isn't the Roman I'm used to. He's really good at these little tricks. That's all it is, another trick.

"You're welcome, my beautiful mate." I choked on a bite of pancake. He ran and grabbed me a cup of orange juice. He rushed back to my side. "Are you OK?" He asked. Hell no I wasn't OK! Did he just say what I think he said?

"You haven't called me that in over a year." I said staring into his face, I was trying to read him but he was too good. He was alpha he is supposed to be unreadable.

"I'm trying Denae." He groaned. He ran his hands through his curly hair. I sat there and tried to eat my food. It was amazing and all but it just wasn't sitting right with me. I felt my stomach turn a little. I put the fork down and held my stomach. The next thing I knew I was running to the bathroom, I threw up everything I had just eaten. Roman came rushing in. "Are you OK?" He asked me. He sounded genuinely concerned but when I looked up I met those angry green eyes.

"Yea, I'm fine." I whispered standing up to rinse my mouth out. Damn it kid! You're going to give it away before I can even make sure you're safe!

"I want the pack doctor to come and take a look at you, but I have to go out-of-town for a couple of days." He said he walked up on me and backed me into the sink. His body was so close to mine. My wolf tried to claw her way out.

'No more!' I screamed at her. 'That was the last time!' She calmed herself quickly.

"Can I trust you to stay here while I'm gone?" He put his hand around my throat, my heart started to pound. I thought he was going to choke me again, my body tensed up. Instead of doing something violent he just caressed the fading bruise around my neck. I nodded to him. This could be my big break! I might just get away this time! "Are you sure?" He growled stepping closer to me.

"Yes." I whimpered. I had to play this off. "Where are you going?" I asked him. He looks away from me.

"Nebraska, I have some problems I need to sort out." He all but growled. He never really told me about his "business" so that wasn't unusual, but I was glad he was going to Nebraska, that meant I could go where ever and be there before he could start looking for me.