Epilogue

Sans sighed as he waded through the pile of notes and gizmos.

"you know pops, it's been five years and you still haven't made a break through. Maybe it's time to... i don't know... give it a break."

The older skeleton stood with his back to Sans, enraptured in the diagram that was before him. Sans's words had fallen upon deaf ears apparently.

"or not," Sans said as he stared at the scribbled equations that littered the majority of the pages that littered the lab.

Gaster's laboratory had changed over the five years, to the point where it had even been relocated to Hotlands as to be closer to the Core.

After your death Gaster had thrown himself into his work, investing his time to finishing the Core. It had been a way for him to deal with your death, a way for him to handle the grief and guilt he still felt. The Core had been created 2 years later, however Gaster spent the next three obsessed over the idea that he could somehow bring you back from death with your soul.

Sans closed his eyes, cursing himself for what he was about to say, "dad... she's been gone for five years... i think you should stop with this plan of yours. before you hurt yourself or someone else."

Even Sans had to admit your death had been a blow. Not only to Gaster but also to himself and Papyrus. However, his father had gone too far in his grief, believing he could bring things back that were long gone. Cheating death. It just wasn't right.

Gaster finally turned to face his son.

"I can't, not yet. I know I am close to figuring it out. I can bring her back," Gaster stated. He strode past his son and came to a stop in front of the specially designed jar that protected the suspended green and purple heart. The faint light illuminating Gaster's features as he stared at it.

Sans rubbed the back of his neck nervously, "dad, papyrus is getting worried. You don't come home as often and the king is starting to wonder what you're doing locked up in here all the time."

Gaster's face softened, "I... apologise for making you and Papyrus worry. Asgore is a good friend... however he mustn't know what I do here Sans. If he discovers I have her soul he will demand I hand it over to him.... I can't let him take the only thing I have left of her." Gaster muttered as he pulled away from the soul.

He pinched the bone between his eye sockets and closed his eyes in weariness.

"will you at least try and get some sleep?" Sans asked.

Gaster sighed, "I assume that rest would not hurt."

As quickly as the relief to his father's acceptance of rest had filled Sans it disappeared with the flashing of red and the blaring sound of sirens that filled the lab.

"what's going on?"

Gaster's eyes had widened in shock and he was now rushing to the main control pad of the laboratory as large warning signals began to fill the screens.

"I don't know... the Core has become unstable. As if something or someone with a force of energy even greater than the power generated by the Core has entered the underground," Gaster stated, his hands moving swiftly over the keys.

"That should be impossible though... the only thing that could possibly rival the Core in power is a disruption in the timeline or someone who has the power to determine the fate of a timeline entering this dimension."

The lights continued to flash as sirens blared. The room shook as Gaster and Sans lost their balance. Parts of the wall began to shake and cracks formed in the floor.