Best friend

The younger boy reaches the older and starts walking next to him. "We need to talk", Jungkook pants from running.

"No, we don't. I told you enough times already that us talking is out of the question", Taehyung's voice went back to his cold, monotonous one.

"Well you better suck it up cause I'm not going to stop doing it", Jungkook grumbles, crossing his arms in the progress.

Taehyung's eyes widen and glances sideways to the hybrid. Where did that attitude come from?

"I know it's probably my fault your bike is now ruined", Jungkook's voice softens a bit, "So I'll promise to bring you back home today".

A beaming smile is prominent on his face and Taehyung should really close his eyes before he got blinded by the brightness. The other's black tail was wrapped around his chest and Taehyung was kind of fascinated about the thing. He wished he was a hybrid, and not this human boy who was suspected of being a monster.

"No thanks", the older replies bored. He ignores the guilt bubbling when he notices Jungkook's smile falling.

"It wasn't a question, you know. I'll bring you whether you like it or not", Jungkook's attitude is back and the other wonders if he only acts like this around him.

"You can't. It's almost 10 miles from here", Taehyung sighs, mentally slapping himself because there was no way that Jungkook was going to let him walk home alone now.

The small boy gasps, "That's so far away! Did you really plan on walking there? Oh! I have a better idea. My mom will be home at 7 and then she can drive you back".

Taehyung's heart skips a beat. That'd mean he would have to spend three hours into someone else's house with a stranger to keep him company. Taehyung didn't like unfamiliar places. He liked comfort and familiarity.

"You know it wasn't a question right? So there's no use in saying no", Jungkook smiles satisfied.

"Since when did you become such a confident cat?", Taehyung mumbles when they turn left. A nice street filled with white houses surround the two boys. The older of the two got slightly jealous, wishing he could live here.

"This is my house", Jungkook points at a small house with a nice little garden filled with tulips. Taehyung grumbles something in reply and stuffs his hands in his pockets. He is a little uncomfortable to be here with someone he doesn't know too well.

The younger unlocks the door and urges the older to go inside. They get rid of their shoes and coats and Jungkook leads them to the kitchen.

"Want something to drink?", the hybrid asks, rummaging through the cupboards. He pulls out a packet of cookies and finds milk in the fridge.

"Milk? Really?", Taehyung snorts, "So you're a stereotype huh?".

Jungkook lightly glares at him, his black ears twitching a little at the remark, "It makes my tummy go yummy so shut up".

Taehyung decides to not reply but he does melt a little when Jungkook makes two cups of hot chocolate ready, his tongue poking out when he reaches for the marshmallows which are on the highest cupboard. Taehyung sees him fail multiple times and decides to help the younger. He pushes him out of the way and grabs the packet, throwing it on the counter.

"Thanks", Jungkook mumbles flustered. He puts fluffy candy in the mugs and hands to Taehyung. He then leads the older to the couch, flipping on the television but only to have it as a background sound.

"So", Jungkook starts, looking up to Taehyung who's on the other side of the couch, stirring his hot chocolate.

"So?", Taehyung questions. The thing he feared the most happened. Jungkook wants to talk and if there's something Taehyung is the worst at, it's talking. Luckily he doesn't have to do it in school, until Jungkook decided to pop up.

"I wanted to apologize"

Taehyung looks up confused, "Huh? Why?"

"For making people hate you even more", Jungkook averts his eyes, "I noticed my friends talking badly about you and realized you were right from the beginning. Rumors are really the only thing that matters, not the actual truth".

"Good you realized at least something", Taehyung replies. Finally, he thought with it.

"But", Jungkook places his mug down on the coffee table next to the couch, "I'm still not giving up on being your friend".

Taehyung sighs. "And why's that?"

Jungkook shuffles a bit closer and crosses his legs. "Because you do need a friend, someone who cares about you. And if everyone hates you more because of me-"

Jungkook shuffles even closer and leans a bit in," Then I'll have to love you more".

Taehyung gulps and pulls back a little, staring into the hybrid's innocent eyes.

"W-what do you mean?", Taehung stutters and he feels his cheek flushing.

"That I'll be your best friend and will deal with everyone who dares to hurt you, doesn't matter if they hurt me", Jungkook smiles, putting his hand on Taehyung's leg who wants to flinch away. The older tries to ignore the sparks setting off inside his body and glances up to the younger boy in front of him. Why was he so determinated? What was wrong with him? But putting all these questions aside, Taehyung could not ignore the warmth spreading in his heart, even though it was accompanied by a sudden fear he knew all too well.

The fear of being left alone again. Of feeling loved and then being thrown aside.

Could he let someone in his life again?

He stared deeply into Jungkook's dark eyes and lost himself into the galaxy of stars seemingly shining inside of it.

Maybe he could.

Just maybe.