Single?

Word Count: 1010

Fandom: Nicholas Hoult

Pairing: Nicholas x Fem!Reader

Request (s): None

Warning (s): None

A/N: Just a bit of an argument between Nick and the reader, nothing too bad. Enjoy!

"So, Nicholas. I have a very important question for you," the host of the show, Graham Norton, said.

"A-alright," Nick replied. He looked a bit nervous as he leant back in his chair and crossed his hands.

"(Y/N) (Y/L).  We've all heard the name. She's a wonderful actress and a close friend of yours. A very close friend. We all know the rumours that have been floating around," Graham started. Nicholas blushed but tried to hide it. "Are you two dating?"

"Um ... no. No, she's my best friend," Nick explained, squirming on the couch. 

Her heart sunk at the words that fell from his lips. What was he talking about? Of course, they were dating. They had been for six months.

"Really? But you moved in with her last year, isn't that right?" Graham pressed.

"Yeah, I did. She needed help with the rent and I needed a place to crash. It just kind of worked out perfectly," Nick said.

"There's been photos of you two holding hands. Any comments on that," Graham eyed Nicholas suspiciously.

"Yeah, we're just really close friends," Nick covered.

She rushed to grab the telly remote and turn it off. Tears welled in her eyes and she hugged her knees to your chest. Was he embarrassed to be seen with her? Was he trying to tell her it was over?

Anger overruled the sadness inside of her and she wiped away the unfallen tears. She left the living room in exchange for the bedroom. She grabbed your suitcase and began to pack her clothing and other items. Unwanted tears welled again and she let them fall, enraged and depressed at the same time.

- + -

"Honey! I'm home!" A voice rang through the eerily silent flat. "(Y/N)? Are you here?"

The man pulled off his jacket and set it on the sofa. His eyebrows scrunched up in confusion as he looked around for his lost lover. He searched around the flat, calling out for her.

Why wasn't she waiting for him? She always greeted him when he came home unless she was off at a set. Was she on set? Was she filming a new movie? No. She hadn't told him she was, at least.

"(Y/N)?" he asked, finally hearing a soft sound cutting through the quiet air. He followed the sound into the bedroom and was shocked at the sight in front of him.

"(Y/N)?" He asked, rushing over to console her. She jumped at his touch.

"Oh, Nicholas. Sorry, you gave me a fright," she sniffled, wiping away tear trails. He looked about the room in horror and realisation. Her clothes were all strewn about the room and a suitcase sat in the corner, half filled.

"Are you alright, love?" Nicholas asked, knowing something terrible was up.

"Don't call me that," she said, shrinking away from him on the bed.

"What? Why not?"

"That's something you call girlfriends and apparently I'm not yours," she snapped. He stood up with the intention of changing out of his suit.

"What are you going on about?" His voice was muffled through the fabric of his shirt as he pulled it over his head. He threw in on the floor, along with all of the other clothes from the closet, and grabbed a grey jumper.

"Don't play dumb with me. You know what I'm talking about. You told everyone that we weren't together on live telly," she said, wiping away more tears and crossing her arms. Nicholas breathed out, heavily.

"Yes, but-"

"Are you trying to break up with me?" She interrupted.

"What? No! No, of course not!" Nick cried out, tugging down his jumper and sitting down next to her on the shared bed. She refused to move any nearer to him.

"Then ... what Nick? Why did you say that?" She almost shouted.

"I was trying to protect you," he said, reaching out to touch her shoulder. She didn't stop him.

"Bull," she muttered.

"No, really! I didn't want to announce it publicly without you there. A lot of people would be upset if they knew I was dating you, especially with the history of Jennifer and I, and I didn't want the backlash to hurt you," he rushed to explain. She scoffed and stood up from the bed, pulling his hand off her. She headed for the bedroom door but he stood up and beat her to it, his bright blue eyes locking with her own.

"Are you embarrassed to be seen with me?" She interrogated. "I know I'm not an extremely famous actress and all and you probably don't want me to drag you down. It's fine, just say the words and I'm gone."

"No, that isn't it at all. I swear to god, I wasn't trying to hurt you," Nicholas insisted, his accent turning every word into a poem.

She crossed her arms, hesitant to believe what he was saying.

"(Y/N), I promise you. You're the most beautiful, intelligent, kindest, and all around amazing woman I have ever had the pleasure of meeting, How could I ever be embarrassed by you?" Nick asked. "I love you."

"I love you, too," she sighed, letting him win. He threw him fist up in triumph and smiled brightly.

"Am I forgiven?" He asked, wrapping his arms around her waist.

"Hmm ... on one condition," she smiled, biting her lip.

"Anything."

"Next time someone asks about me, you tell them the truth. Because we are dating," she said. He nodded and happily placed a kiss on her cheek.

"Deal," he agreed. She put her hands around his neck and pulled him into a real kiss, glad that everything was sorted out.