Black Out

Word Count: 955

Fandom: X-Men

Pairing: Hank McCoy x Reader

Request(s): None

Warning(s): None

A/N: Hope you like this cute little thing!

"Hey, Hank?"

"Yes?"

"I need your help," you said, blushing with embarrassment.

"With what?" He asked.

"Well, you're really smart and all, and I want to pass my biology final, so I figured I should ask you to be my study buddy," you smiled, shyly. Hank had been your friend since the day you stepped foot in the mansion, but that didn't make asking for help any less nerve wracking.

"Oh, yeah! Sure. I'll meet you in your room later, okay?" Hank grinned, pushing up his glasses. You let out a breath of relief, finally feeling at ease.

"Thanks, Hank. You're the best," she said, "but I have to warn you, my room is haunted."

"Wait, what?" Hank asked, but you were already far gone.

A few hours later, Hank and you were sat on your dormitory floor, surrounded by papers and notebooks and study guides.

"Okay, so you have to write an essay about Darwin's theory, right?" Hank asked, thumbing through the pages of a textbook in front of him.

"That is correct, Professor Brainiac," you laughed at his annoyed face. Hank had graduated college at 17 and was working at the Academy as the scientist and engineer of the X-Men. He was a true genius in your eyes. A cute, sweet, dorky, lovable one who stole your heart from 'hello'.

"(Y/N)?" He asked, waving his hand in your face.

"W-what?" You asked, snapping out of your trance.

"You zoned," he chuckled. "What were you thinking about?"

"Oh, nothing," you blushed, gazing down at all the scattered notes.

"Okay, well, we should start by seeing if you know the content. I'll quiz you," he said. Right as the words left his mouth, the room was blanketed in pitch black canvas.

"Hank?" You called out, body tense.

"I'm right here," he said, placing a hand on your shoulder. You jumped. "It's just a power outage. Are you alright?"

"Uh ... yeah," you mumbled, eyes slowly adjusting to the darkness. You jumped again when you heard a loud noise down the hall.

"Are you afraid of the dark?" He asked, incredulously.

"W-what? No! No, of course not! That's ch-childish!" You exclaimed.

"Oh my god! You are!" Hank Laughed in disbelief.

"S-so what? Do you have any idea what lurks in the dark? Demons, ghosts! Murderers and thieves!" You countered.

"Ghosts?" Hank asked.

"Yes, ghosts! My room is haunted, remember?" You said, looking over at him, finally able to see his figure in the blackness. He was smiling. "Stop laughing at me!"

"I'm not! It's just cute!" Hank defended himself. You faltered for a second. Had he just called her cute?

A loud crash rang through the room, causing you to scream. Hank wrapped his arms around you in an attempt to calm you down.

"What was that?" You asked, panicking. He shrugged, looking around the dark room.

"I think your lamp fell over," Hank said. He stood up, letting you go to investigate. He picked up the lamp and set it back on the bedside table. "Oh, look. Your torch is here. How convenient?"

"I told you my room was haunted," you cried out.

"What are you talking about? The lamp was probably just unbalanced and it tipped over. Nothing to worry about," Hank said, turning on the torchlight and pulling open the curtains on the window.

"How coincidental that it had to fall right when the power went out, right?" You asked, sarcastically.

"Exactly," Hank said, not joking. You sighed and watched as he looked out the window. "It looks like this whole part of town is at a loss of electricity. Must be the storm that's coming."

You groaned, walking up to him. He smiled down at you and wrapped his arm around your shoulder.

"So, what do we do until the power comes back on?" You asked.

"We could start studying?" He offered. You groaned again and he laughed. "I'm kidding. We could just hang out for awhile."

"Okay." You said, heading over to sit on your bed. Hank sat down across from you.

"What do you wanna do?" Hank asked.

"Truth or dare," you challenged.

"Alright. You start," he grinned nervously. You rubbed your hands together, thinking of evil dares and cringeworthy truths.

"Truth or dare?" you asked.

"Truth," Hank said.

"What is your most embarrassing moment?" You smirked.

"When I was seen, I was in a higher level class and I was asked to come up and solve a question on the board. It was my first day there, and I got so nervous that I threw up in the bin in the middle of my explanation," he blushed. You giggled.

"Oh god, that's terrible," you laughed.

"Yeah, I know. Okay, truth or dare?"

"Dare," you smiled.

"I dare you to tell me the cheesiest joke you know," he challenged.

"Alright. What do you call cheese that isn't yours?" You asked, taking the 'cheesiest' part literally.

"What?" He sighed.

"Nacho cheese!" you exclaimed. He laughed, shaking his head.

"That's horrible," he chuckled. You nodded, beginning to laugh yourself.

"Exactly," you giggled, only to jump and hold in a scream as a pounding was heard on a door down the hall. Hank pulled you into a hug again, calming you down.

"It's just some students coming back to their rooms," he explained.

"O-okay," you stuttered out. You shook, trying to rid yourself of the fear. "Truth or dare?"

"Dare," he said, feeling brave. You smiled.

"I dare you to go out there and kiss your crush," you smiled. He laughed a little, blushing. He leant forward a bit and placed a kiss on your cheek. You froze.

"W-wait. You like me?" You asked, confused. He nodded, face as red as a cherry.

"Yeah. Sorry," he said softly, rubbing the back of his neck. You smiled brightly, turning around in his embrace and kissing him full on the lips.

"Huh?" Hank asked after you pulled away.

"I like you too, nerd," you said, grinning like an idiot.