II

October 31,1971

October 31,1971.

Dear Lily Pad,

It's Halloween, and it is weird not having you here so we could go trick or treating, or even have gone costume seeking, a few days ago. Penelope asked where you were, I told her that you had gone to some trip with Aunt Olivia for the time being. She believed my lie, really. She didn't even question why you were with Aunt Olivia in the first place. Charlie asked as well, and I told the same lie repeatedly and they all believed it, perhaps even me. I wanted to dress as a witch, just so I could feel as important for mum and dad as you are, but I dressed as a zombie bride instead, because when I put on the witch costume, it just reminded me of you and I didn't want that. . Dad helped me with effects, and Penelope helped me get the white wedding dress. We tore it up and threw it to the ground until it was dirty enough. I accidentally called you when we had my costume ready, but then I remembered that you were at Aunt Olivia's, learning about Magic and creatures. I got lots of candy, maybe i'll even send some to you. Maybe. A few days ago, we had an owl land on the window, and Mum looked very happy. She said that you had written to her that you were loving school more than you ever did. That you learned how to pick up a feather from the table and turn a tea cup into a mouse. She sounded very proud, just letting you know. Dad was grinning, and talking about how an excellent witch you were becoming. You also said that they had floating pumpkins how the place where you ate was glowing in a orange light because of them. I wanted to carve a pumpkin, but deep down, I couldn't because mum and dad had shut me out. Really! Dad ignored me when I told him I had received a perfect score on my math exam. I looked at my test and ripped it to tiny little pieces. Impossible for you to fix, or anyone. Dad thinks I'm still being childish, but I didn't care.

I just wish you weren't a witch.

Signed, Petunia Evans