IX

December 31,1974

December 31,1974.

Lily,

You stayed at school again, something about wanting to stay with your friends again. And that's okay. Tell me next time. It doesn't hurt to add "Tell Petunia.." It really doesn't.

Vernon and I went on a date not so long ago, and he makes me feel very special. It was a rare warm fall day, and he had packed some sandwiches in a basket. He can be so romantic sometimes. I wore my favorite dress and he met mum and dad. He was dressed up so nicely as well.  I felt as special as you are to mom and dad, so you can tell it is a lot. I wish you could meet him, but he's seems a bit withdrawn about that idea. It would mean the world to me when and if you meet him. Maybe when you come back for the summer? But one can never be so sure right? I mean you did tell mom and dad that you were going to spend the summer with your friend, Marlene. He bought me a nice necklace the other day, and it's so beautiful. It's a purple petunia, and I'm wearing it right now really.

How is Severus? You haven't talked about him in many letters, and I'm wondering if you two are still friends. I saw him not so long ago with his mother, He was just staring at me in such a weird and totally uncomfortable way. His hair is so greasy you can probably fry a doughnut with all that. I don't think that would be tasty at all.

Maybe we should get some doughnuts... whenever I see you again.

Signed, Petunia Evans.