III

December 18, 1971

December 18, 1971.

Dear Lily.

It's almost Christmas time, and you're coming back home, at least that's what they said today in the morning. We're going to pick you up in a day or two. Mum and Dad bought you extra dollies. They also told me not to tell you, but they think I actually send you the letters. I mean I try too, but why would I? You haven't written to me either. Back to Christmas shopping,they made me help them choose it, I picked the one with the blonde hair so you wouldn't forget you had an older sister. Since it seems that you have,unfortunately. I dyed the hair of my dollies blonde, because the red haired dolly left and isn't coming back for a long time. She went on vacation. Mum and Dad speak very highly about you.. It's always Lily this and Lily that. A few months ago it was the girls this, or the girls that. If only they knew that everybody else thinks you're a freak as well. Charlie, Penelope.. Everybody. They just don't say anything because our parents are too prideful about it. I asked for a new bicycle, so Penelope and I can go down to the small river and search for flowers. Remember when we use to do that? It was the time you showed me that you somehow got control over the flowers, and it was also the day that long nosed boy came along and showed you that he was just like you. I ran because I was scared, and wanted to tell mum that you were making little leaves fly and a small petunia flower on the palm of your hand. I thought you were some weirdo that took time reading about magic tricks. If only I knew before hand. I mean, you go to a place where you say that the ceiling changes according to the weather outside. So if it snows, does it actually snow inside as well?
Is it true that you made friends?
I'm actually happy for you.
A freak should never be alone
Signed, Petunia Evans.