Chapter 1

The week before Emma left to Munich, she showed me around London. I accompanied her to where her office was one morning so I'd know how to get there once Emma was in Germany. While she was at work, I took the time to explore some of London; after all, this would be my home for the next 6 months and as Emma, I would be expected to know how to get around. I scoped out the restaurants that were close by. I figured I'd be eating lunch from time to time in one of them. Emma's friends from school knew she would be going to Germany, so I only needed to pose as Emma while I was at her work. I didn't think it would be too difficult. Emma was creating a guide for me to follow while she was gone. She said working as Brian's secretary wasn't all that difficult. Most of what he asked her to do was repetitive...so she knew exactly what I would be doing. She said she'd make a list of important names and phone numbers so I'd have that handy. Emma told me she also worked as a filter for Brian's phone calls. Between Emma's notes and my common knowledge of what a secretary is supposed to do, I didn't worry much.

I was a little more concerned about portraying Emma...it had been years since I had spent much time with her, the longest being our one week vacation in Spain. When we were younger, it was a lot easier because I saw her every day and knew her mannerisms, knew her style, knew how she thought, but now that we had spent so much time apart and taken up such different lives, it was a bit harder...but not impossible. I studied her all that week and realized my sister hadn't changed that much. She still had her same laugh, her same quirky ways of doing things...her habits when she got nervous or when she thought something was funny.

The day before she left, Emma handed me a notebook filled with notes.

"You'd think I was flying up to the moon with the amount of notes you have in this thing." I said flipping through the pages.

"Don't knock it...it will come in handy...trust me." she winked.

"I'll take a look at it this weekend." I said as I put the notebook down on the coffee table.

"I hate to leave you here by yourself." Emma said. "The whole point of you coming to England was so we could spend time together."

"Don't feel bad...I'm looking forward to living in England and being you for a while...Lord knows I'd like Mirel to disappear...at least for a little." I finished.

"Don't say that." Emma said as she came towards me and gave me a hug.

"Hey...I'm fine." I reassured her. "It'll just be nice to step into someone else's life for a change and ignore all the bad stuff that is happening in my own."

"I don't want to leave you feeling like this."

"Relax...I just get into these sulking moments every once in a while." I lied.

Ever since Nick called off the wedding, I had found myself unhappy and depressed. It was easier to deal with it with Emma because she always knew how to make me laugh, but the truth was that I was still not over Nick and everything that had happened between us was still so fresh. I had silently cried myself to sleep every night since I had gotten to England, making sure Emma did not hear me. Memories of Nick flooded my mind and the pain of what he had done to me lived in my heart.

The next morning, Emma left to Munich.

"I'll call you as soon as I get settled in so you know where you can reach me, ok?' She asked as she said goodbye.

"Sure...don't worry about me." I smiled as I hugged her.

The emptiness of Emma's apartment reflected the emptiness I felt. I didn't go out that Saturday. I stayed in the apartment...messed about with my guitar for a couple of hours...flipped through the TV channels not really watching anything in particular...and slept...sleep was the only thing that took the pain I felt away...so I tried to sleep as much as I could. Sunday wasn't much different from Saturday, except I received a call from Emma telling me she had arrived safe in Munich. It was Sunday evening and the only thing I had eaten all weekend was a bowl of cereal. I forced myself to have another just to keep my strength, but the truth was that I had lost my appetite. I walked into Emma's room and looked into her closet to see what I would be wearing tomorrow morning. Her style and mine were very different, so I opted for a combination of the two, pulling a skirt from her closet and a top from mine. I skimmed through the notes Emma had left me, but I quickly got bored reading where to find things, where to file things, where to mail things... I called it an early night; tomorrow I wanted to wake up early and try to forget about Mirel's life to focus on Emma's.