Chapter 17

Emma and I looked quickly at each other before turning around.  There he was just as I remembered. His hair was a tad longer, but he was still wearing those same glasses that I had learned to love.  He had a drink in his hand and kept looking back and forth trying to decide who was Emma.  He finally made his decision and walked up to me.

"Emma?" He asked.

"Mirel." I corrected him.

"I could have sworn you were Emma." John mumbled. "Nice to meet you Mirel." He said extending his hand.

"Nice to meet you John." I said as I took his hand in mine.

"Emma...I need to talk to you." He said turning to face my sister.

"I don't think now is the most appropriate time." Emma said.  "Besides my sister is here and--"

"I'm sure Mirel can get along just fine without you for a few minutes?" John asked looking straight at me.

"Umm...sure.  I'll just go on ahead and mingle." I said.

Emma shot me a look of distress, but there wasn't much I could say.  I reluctantly walked away and headed towards the crowd.  I wallked up to Ringo and Maureem and chatted with them for a bit.  I waited nervously for Emma to come back and tell me what had happened between her and John, but when I saw her come back into the living room, Brian crossed paths with her and introduced her to a few people he was talking to. I was expecting John to come join us at some point, but he stayed away.  He never once approached me or Emma after that.  About 20 minutes later, I was able to talk with Emma and ask her what had happened with John.  

"So...what happened?" I asked softly.

"Nothing new.  Basically he wanted confirmation on everything I had told him the other day." Emma responded. 

"Confirmation?"

"Yes...he said he didn't believe me the other night and wanted me to tell him again that I had no feelings for him."

"Did you?"

"Well I told him I cared for him as friends, but that we couldn't continue the romance that had started in Spain." 

"How did he take it?" I asked

Emma couldn't respond because just then Patti, George and Jane came over and we were unable to finish the conversation. We spent the next couple of hours mingling with the guests at the party.  I was "introduced" to people I had already met and there were even occasions where I had to subtly inform Emma that "she" had already met some of those people. 

As the night progressed, I realized that I hadn't talked to John at all that night apart from our brief "introduction" when we had first arrived.  I had seen him throughout the night here and there, but there was never an attempt to get close to one another.  I suppose it was understandable.  I had been around Emma all night and who would want to hang out with someone that just broke their heart? 

"I'm going to grab a drink." I told Emma as I walked to the kitchen leaving her with Paul and Jane.

Paul's house had become more crowded with every hour that passed and right now even the kitchen was full.  I tried to make my way through the swarms of people and as I did, I suddenly felt a sharp tug at my arm that almost made me fall.  I was caught by none other than John. 

"Oh!  John." I said as I steadied myself in his arms.  I backed away just enough for him to take my hand and lead me into a room.  I looked around and noticed we had just walked into Paul's office.  There were papers all over the desk and a few guitars on the floor.   I heard John close the door and I looked over at him.