Chapter 5

Charlie and I spent the entire day in the park.  Fortunately for us, the London weather was decent for a June afternoon and it did not rain.  We got back around 4 pm and I was starving.  I had just about had to drag Charlie home…I guess I had overdone it a bit, but I didn’t want to stay in the house…it reminded me of how lonely I was here In England.  I much rather preferred to be outside…even if I didn’t know anyone…being surrounded by people would surely make me feel better, right? 

I ate, fed Charlie, watched a little TV, messed around with my guitar a bit and cleaned the apartment.  Surely, I had killed some time, but when I looked at my watch it was only 7:30pm.  I was going crazy enclosed within these four walls.  I decided I was going to go out tonight…I showered and got dressed.  I decided on a light peach number.  I put on a few gold accessories, did my hair with soft curls and touched up with just enough makeup to give me some color.  I looked in the mirror and smiled.

“Not bad, Mirel…not bad at all.  You clean up pretty nicely…” I grabbed my purse and patted Charlie on the head as I headed out the door.

Sadly, I had no one to go with, but I had read about a nice jazz club not too far from where I lived, so I figured I could listen to some music, drink some wine and make it a nice evening for one.  I was feeling quite daring tonight.  If you had told me a couple of weeks ago whether I would be going out by myself on a Saturday night, I wouldn’t have believed you.  Yet, tonight I preferred to be alone in the city than alone in my room. 

I found the jazz club with no problem.  It was still early, so there weren’t a lot of people inside.  I walked in and sat at the bar…sitting at the bar allowed me to be a little less obvious that I was there alone.  I looked around and saw the stage where the band would be playing.  There was an empty piano sitting there and I was so tempted to go and play it, but I l contained myself.   Although I loved playing the guitar, the piano was my weakness…I loved it.  I ordered a cup of red wine as I waited for the band to set up.  I hadn’t had any dinner, so I ordered a small appetizer to tie me over. 

“It’s on the house.”  I heard the bartender say as he brought me the plate of cheeses and olives I had ordered. 

“Thank you.” I smiled.

“Jeremy.” He said as he extended his hand out.

“Nice to meet you…I am M…Emma.” I responded catching myself.

“Hope you enjoy your night.” He smiled as he quickly went over to a couple who had just sat down on the other side of the bar.  I could tell Jeremy was going to be busy tonight.  Already the room was starting to fill up and it was still considerably early. 

As the band began to play, I completely relaxed.  The soothing sound of the instruments made any bad day go away.  As I sipped my wine, I realized tonight was the first time I had gone out by myself and been okay.  I realized that despite the years I had spent as Nick’s girlfriend, I could live without him, I could sit by myself and enjoy something pleasant…without him….I didn’t need him…

Suddenly, my epiphany was interrupted when I felt someone’s hand on my shoulder.

“Emma?”

I turned around and didn’t recognize the face that was looking at me. I must have had a look of ‘who the hell are you?’ on my face because the young man laughed and sat down next to me.

“You don’t remember me, do you?” 

“No…I’m sorry I-“

“It’s Jason Stephens...”

“Oh! Jason.” I said as I pretended to have remembered who he was.

“How are you?  I haven’t seen you in…more than a year?”