Chapter 10

Our hug lasted a bit longer than a hug should last and when we pulled away, I couldn’t help but stare at him for a few more seconds before turning away and sitting on the bed.

“So tell me…how did you guys locate him?”

John followed me and sat across from me.  He told me how Neil had called the hotel and had asked the manager if they had found a bear.  When news got around that one of the Beatles was looking for a bear that was left behind, all the female employees started investigating until one of the girls boasted about having found an authentic Beatles souvenir.  From what John told me, he had to talk to some of the girls by phone and “convince” them to send the bear to him.  In doing so, he would personally thank them at their next press conference and send them personalized autographs. 

I laughed. “So one girl found the bear and you have to thank how many?”

“That was the price I had to pay for the release of Fred.” He smiled.

“Thanks John. That was really sweet of you.”

“Don’t mention it.”

My eyes met with John’s and there was an awkward silence building up.

“So…uhhh…what did you guys decide on about the tour?” I asked.

“We’ve cancelled a few of the upcoming shows…but we’ll finish the tour, nonetheless.” He responded.

“How do you feel about that?”

John shrugged. “I was done with touring before we even started this one.” He said blatantly.

“Oh…and what about the others?”

“Paul was really the one who was pushing for it…George was against it and Ringo…well he was just going to go along with whatever was decided like me." John continued.  “But anyway, I guess we have a few days off…what do you want to do?” He inquired.

“What do I want to do?” I asked surprised.

“Well yeah…I was hoping we could spend it together…”

“Well…what can we do is the real question.  I mean I’m assuming we can’t just go sightseeing or anything.”

“You assume correctly…so let me rephrase the question.  What do you want to do that involves us staying confined in this hotel?”

“What do you guys usually do?” I asked.

“Well…” John thought for a moment. “We watch telly, play cards, drink, smoke…have a little fun with the birds that we meet...” John finished giving me a smirk.

“Oh boy…what a thrill.” I said sarcastically.

“Don’t knock it, luv…it’s all we have available to us.”  John said

“I’m sorry. Well let’s go see what the others want to do.” I said getting up and heading out the door.  As I opened the door I realized John wasn’t behind me.  I looked back and he was still sitting on the bed.

“Well aren’t you coming?” I asked.

“Well..I …uh...sure.” John stammered getting up.  I noticed he was a bit reluctant and then it hit me that maybe he didn’t mean ‘we could spend it together’ as in all of us, but ‘we’ as in just he and me.  As tempting as that sounded, I was glad I had unintentionally ruined those plans.  I knew very well John was starting to stir feeling in me for him and spending time alone with him was not going to help them go away.   In a way, I felt happy that I could have these feelings again.  My break up with Nick had been terrible and I never thought that I could ever like another man again…especially because of my long term relationship with Nick, but it was starting to happen…the fact that I could feel attracted to another man meant that I was healing and that having a love life after Nick was possible…even if it wasn't with John.