Chapter 11

When I went back to my room, I thought long and hard about what I was going to tell everyone. I guess my parents had been right…how bad would it have been if we had actually told the truth? If Emma and I had walked up to Brian and told him she was offered a scholarship, but didn’t want to lose her job and if I could replace her while she was gone? In all truth, I suppose the worst that could have happened would have been he said no…but then where would that have left Emma…unemployed and with no way to pay the rest of her school. But now it had become more complicated…now Emma’s job was also in jeopardy…if Brian found out we had lied, would he allow her to still work for him? Her honesty would be questionable. 

I sat on the bed with my hands on my head. 

“Think Mirel…THINK!” I said to myself. 

I had been determined to tell the truth and face the consequences of my actions with the boys…especially John, but I hadn’t thought how this would affect Emma…she had a lot more to lose than I did if she was let go of this job…she had her education on the line. I didn’t know Brian well enough to know how he would react, but I did see him as a very proper man…a man that would not take too kindly to being lied to. 

I sighed in frustration. I couldn’t let my parents tell them the truth, but I couldn’t expect them to lie either…once more, I knew they wouldn’t…I was going to have to try and avoid that meeting with the boys and my parents in order to postpone the truth a little bit longer…but in my heart I knew that the longer I held out on telling them the truth, the more problems it created and the possibility of people getting hurt grew exponentially. 

I decided to take the risk…I couldn’t let my sister‘s future go down the drain, besides, it had been my initial idea about pretending to be her and now I had to follow through. 

I let the Beatles think that the meeting with my parents was still on. I had called them to let them know I would be coming to see them and they were very happy with the news. My mother asked me if they would get a chance to meet the Beatles and I told her I wasn’t sure…it all depended on whether they could get away. 

As if my prayers had been answered, Brian informed the boys on our way from the Los Angeles airport to the hotel that there was a press conference being held that afternoon. 

“Bloody hell…I thought we were taking some days off.” John scowled. “What more is there to say…we’ve been holding a fuckin’ press conference in almost every city…there’s nothing more to say.” 

“Yeah Brian…we’ve answered the same questions time and time again…tell ‘em to lay off.” George supported John. 

“I know boys, but we need to be accessible to the reporters…it’s through them that we can try to smooth out all the controversy we’ve been facing.”

“Through them?!? It’s because of those bloody bastards we are in this situation…they’re the ones twistin’ my words for their benefit.” John complained. 

It was evident that they weren’t going to be able to get out of going and I was going to take advantage of it. 

“What time is the conference?” I asked Brian. 

“Six o’clock.” He replied. 

“I’m having dinner with my parents at that time.” I said. 

There were grunts of disappointment all around. 

“C’mon Brian…we’re going to miss meeting Emma’s parents for this?” Even Paul was testy.

“I’m sorry boys…” was Brian’s only response. 

The rest of the ride was quiet…nobody said anything and you could feel the lack of excitement from the boys…it was as if all their energy had been drained out. I felt bad taking that small joy of getting out and meeting ordinary people (as were my parents) from them, but I was out for survival and this meant going to see my parents without them and them being stuck at a press conference. I suppose I could have rescheduled, but it was just more convenient this way…convenient for me I know…but it had played out this way and I was going to go with the flow.