Chapter 13

The one beer turned into two more and then transformed into a couple of glasses of scotch.  By around 8 that night, I was a little drunker than I was intending to get.  John, on the other hand, was holding his liquor quite well and seemed to be enjoying my intoxicated self.  I was in a happy mood, so drinking only enhanced that.   During that time, John had taken a quick shower and changed while I had downed another glass of scotch and was trying to follow a Spanish television show. 

When John reappeared from his shower, he looked relaxed.  He was dressed in jeans and a white undershirt…his hair uncombed and he was still wearing those round rimmed glasses.  He poured himself another glass of scotch and sat next to me on the couch.  After about a minute of staring at the television screen, he got back up and turned it off. 

“C’mon…let’s go to the beach.” He said as he knocked back the glass of scotch.

John and I walked to the beach and when we got close enough to the water, I ran the rest of the way.  I felt the cold water on my feet and I fell to my knees as the waves crashed into me.  The water felt so refreshing and the night was so clear you could see the stars in the sky.  I closed my eyes for a minute and the only sound to be heard was the waves.  We were so far away from the big city life and it felt great. 

Suddenly I was knocked by a big wave and dragged a bit down into the water.  John and I were laughing as he came over to help me up.   I was completely soaked. We were both kneeling in the sand, facing each other when I looked at John and suddenly felt a very strong attraction to him.  It wasn’t hard to feel attracted to him; apart from his obvious physical attributes, I had gotten to know John on a more personal level.  I had been lucky enough to see him in a more intimate setting and was aware of just how sensitive and caring he was.  It was true that John could be abrasive and at times cynical, but that wasn’t what defined him.  In fact it was the fact that he was all of those things that was my real attraction to him.  He didn’t change who he was for anybody.  Of course he had to tone it down a bit for the press, but he never changed who he was even if he did sugar coat it with his wit and humor.  As we knelt there, John lifted his hand and swept some damp hair away from my face. 

“You’re so beautiful Emma.” He said softly.

His comment made me blush and I looked down in hopes of hiding my embarrassment.

He chuckled a bit before lifting my chin up to make me look at him.

“You should never be embarrassed by a comment  like that, luv.”

I smiled nervously.

Without warning, as if fate was taunting us, a wave came crashing into us that left me against the floor and brought John toppling over me.  I lay there, without moving, not knowing what to do.  What had brought laughter the first time a wave had knocked me down was now silence.  I was expecting John to move so we could get up, but he didn’t.  He stayed right where he was.   His body was straddling mine and I was all too aware of the excitement this was causing him.  I was expecting to see a mischievous grin on his face due to our current position, but instead I saw a sweet and tender expression on his face.  He looked down at me for what seemed hours, which in truth were probably only a few seconds, before shifting his body weight a bit.  This action made me think he was getting ready to get up and end this compromising situation we had both found ourselves in, but I was wrong.  I felt my heart racing as I saw his face getting nearer.  But John didn’t go in for the kiss; instead his lips grazed my cheek before making their way to my neck.  As he continued, I started to panic and took in a sharp breath while simultaneously felt my body involuntarily clamp up.   I could feel myself start to breathe heavier and tried to calm myself down, but failed miserably.  I was hoping John would not have noticed, but he abruptly stopped what he was doing and I faintly heard him moan before he moved towards my ear.