Part 76: Last Resort

I drove over to Casper's house as soon as I got his text. I sat on his sofa next to him. He filled me in on the events that had happened last night.

"So," I began. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I wanted to talk to you about something." he said. I gave him a questioning look. "Do you want to rescue Jordan?" he asked. I stared at him shocked.

"Did Alice tell you a way?" I asked excitedly. He shook his head, and my face fell.

"No. She said it was impossible." he said. "But, at this point I don't know if I believe her. I know it sounds stupid, but after everything that has happened, I kind of believe that anything is possible, even miracles." he blushed at his own corny words. "Even if Jordan is a demon now, I think if you tried communicating with her, maybe that would trigger some humanity in her. So, I was wondering if you'd be willing to try with me." he said. I was silent. His hopefulness was contagious. I still wanted to believe that good dreams could come true, even if they seemed impossible. "Or maybe if I went and hunted down Ala and killed her, I could slice open her belly and maybe find Jordan's soul again!" he suggested. "You know? We could try something like that too if our first plan doesn't work. I just don't want to give up. We could be like Jordan's knights in shining armor here, fighting the dragons until we rescue her from a locked tower. That's why I became a demon hunter anyways. I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be someone who used bravery and compassion to win against all the odds." he said. "I will still be your friend if you refuse me. I know it's dangerous, and you don't really have the resources to defend yourself." he said referring to my lack of powers.

"I will." I said without hesitation. "Casper, you've been Jordan's and my friend for a long time. Of course I'll help you." He looked at me shocked and smiled.

"You will?" he asked. I nodded. "Well, I gotta admit, you got balls, Nora Evans." he laughed. "Alright then it's settled." he said. I began to follow him towards the bus stop where we estimated that the portal would reappear.