Chapter 7

Friday came around and I crossed paths with Dean at least four times but he didn't say a word to me, he didn't even lift his eyes.

Saturday and Sunday passed. By Monday I was numb. I was tired and distracted and not expecting Dean to approach me. But he did. Azazel had been transferred to a different biology class thanks to miss Amara so Dean was free to talk to me without being noticed by anyone that could judge him.

"Hey Cas," his voice was hushed but it still took me by surprise. I turned not bothering to hide my confusion. He looked like he hadn't slept much, he had dark circles under his eyes and he was chewing on his bottom lip.

I knew he was going to apologise and felt my heart race in my chest. I hated it when people apologised, I knew deep down that I should appreciate them, but my stupid brain always made me feel even worse when someone did apologise to me.

"Look, I'm really sorry for what went down the other day." There it was, I nodded and wanted to say it was ok but Dean continued. "I didn't mean for it to sound like I was only friends with you because I pitied you, I wanted to talk to you because you seemed cool and we seemed to have things in common. I'll admit I still believe you don't deserve the shit you've been getting recently but that wasn't the reason I first spoke to you. Castiel I think you're pretty cool and I'd really like to keep chatting to you if that's ok."

I don't think anyone in my entire life had apologised to me like that. I nodded absentmindedly which made Dean laugh loudly.

We were supposed to be doing an experiment in groups so when Miss Amara glanced at us Dean quickly picked up one of the bottles in front of me and began babbling on about the experiment until she turned away.

"Looks like we're lab partners." Dean smirked.

I knew this wasn't going to end well, Dean just wasn't the kind of person I should hang out with. But he was persistent and he seemed to be trying hard so I gave him a chance and smiled back at him helping him out with the actual experiment.

After biology me and Dean parted. At lunch I headed to the library to do some last minute homework and also to get away from everyone. It's not that I didn't like the new friends I'd made recently, I just sometimes wanted my own space. And the library was the best place to go.

I found my usual secluded spot in the corner of the library. I noticed Dean's younger brother Sam at a table not far off. His head was buried in a book and I couldn't help thinking they couldn't be more different if they tried. 

I got out my own books and started writing. But I was torn from my work by a familiar voice near by.

"Heya Sammy!" Dean smiled sitting next to his younger brother. They spoke quietly for a few moments before Dean noticed me.
I quickly averted my eyes and pretended I hadn't been watching him but out of the corner of my eye I saw him smile.

He said something to Sam the stood up and strolled across the library to where I was sitting.

"Hey Castiel, you're clever right?"

"Um I don't know?" I mumbled a little confused.

"You know how we worked together in biology earlier, I was wondering if you could give me a hand with our homework assignment, I don't really get it."

"Oh yeah sure." I smiled and Dean took the seat next to me. He pulled out his books and passed it to me.

As I began to explain the assignment I noticed Dean shuffle closer to see the text book properly. If it had been anyone else I probably wouldn't have even noticed but I suddenly became aware of how close we were. I was aware of his shoulder pressed against mine, his knee bumping my leg as he shifted in his seat. We were working for only a few minutes before we got distracted chatting about music and TV shows and soon the bell rang indicating the end of lunch.