Chapter 9

The next few weeks were good. Better than good. I spent time with Dean in the library, support group, biology class and any other time he could get away from Azazel or Lisa. I'd also started working at Ellen's diner again every Monday meaning I could hang out with Joe, who'd proven to be very good at giving advice. 

It was one of those Mondays after school when I caught myself thinking about Dean. This was becoming more frequent the closer we got. Something he'd said or done would pop into my brain and I couldn't help but smile or blush. Deep down I knew what this meant but I tried my best to ignore it. I was happy, I didn't want to let my feelings ruin it. 

"I'm just heading out for some supplies, you kids have got this under control right?" Ellen said bounding to the door. 

"Yeah we'll be fine." Jo smiled squeezing my arm kindly then flashing her pretty smile at a customer that walked in. 

"Hey Cas what do you think of the whole support group thing?" Jo asked as I was pouring coffee into an elderly man's cup. 

"Um it's actually ok, I was dreading it at first but most people there are actually really nice." 

Jo nodded, "Yeah well I guess they can sympathise, you know? They've probably taken just as much shit from Azazel and Lisa and their minions as we have." 

I put the coffee can down on the counter and turned to Jo who was leaning against a chair her chin resting in her hands. "Didn't you used to be friends with them?" I immediately regretted the question when I saw Jo's face drop. "Sorry."

She shook her head, "Yeah, I was friends with them for a little while, but Azazel and most of his mates would just hit on me and Lisa hated me because she thought I had a crush on Dean."

I was surprised, even the popular kids get bullied by the popular kids.

"Do you know Dean well? Is there anything you can tell me about him? It's just we've been hanging out more recently and I wondered if it was a bad idea."

"Hm, I don't know much about him, he'd only just arrived when I stopped being friends with them. And he was always pretty secretive. But he seems like a nice kid, he was one of the only ones that never tried to get into my pants. I probably would've spent more time with him if Lisa wasn't so god dammed protective."

I must've looked super interested because Jo giggled, "He seems fine Cas, just-"

"Oh look at that!" Someone interrupted from the doorway and although Jo had her back to the person the colour drained from her face.

We both turned to see Lisa, Abaddon, Lilith and Hannah stroll through the diner to the counter. 

"You know, you two would actually make a pretty cute couple- oh no you wouldn't because Castiel is a fucking fag." Lisa cackled.

I looked at Hannah. She was fiddling with a ringlet of brown hair nervously and refused to make eye contact with me. Instead she was staring at a spot on the floor by her foot. Her cheeks were pale even under the layers of concealer and blush, and she looked like she hadn't slept in weeks. 

I turned my attention back to Lisa as she continued her attack. "Then again, Jo's such a slut she'd probably try and get with you anyway Cas." 

I wanted to say something, stick up for Jo, but I couldn't think of anything to say. Thankfully Jo knew exactly what to say. "Oh fuck off Lisa!" She said with little care in her voice. 

I couldn't help myself from snorting loudly at Lisa's shocked expression. It wasn't everyday someone put Lisa Braeden in her place. Sadly it only lasted a few seconds and soon she was as composed as ever.