Chapter 24

Cas' Pov

I was already missing Dean when I arrived at the diner. 

"It's so nice to see you again Cas." Ellen beamed when I got there, but I could tell in her eyes there was a hint of worry. I was a constant reminder of what her own daughter went through. 

Ellen soon went to busy herself in the back so I was left to hang out with Jo and wait on the customers. 

I was wiping an empty table when a bunch of younger kids from my school arrived. I recognised them from Sam's class and tried look as nonchalant as possible. The truth was, whenever I saw people from school out in public I was ready to run in the opposite direction. Especially now that everyone knew who I was. 

They sat down and I asked to take their orders. Suddenly one particularly confident boy piped up, "Hey you're Castiel Novak, aren't you dating Sam's older brother Dean?" He asked curiously, all of his friends turning to him in shock as if he'd said something terrible.

"Um yes." I said expecting a bad reaction, maybe a few laughs, or even insults if they were feeling brave enough.

None of that came. Instead the boy just nodded thoughtfully and said, "Cool." all of his friends eventually relaxing again.  

"Hey Cas!" I heard Jo call. 

"I'll bring you your food in a minute." I smiled to the kids and hurried off behind the counter. 

"You ok?" I asked Jo who was leaning against the counter, arms folded, glaring at a cupboard like she was trying to break it with her eyes. 

"We need more sugar, but I can't reach it, it's in that cupboard." She sighed angrily and I chuckled as I stretched to open the cupboard. 

Suddenly Jo started to laugh loudly. I frowned at her as I passed the sugar and she laughed more. "So you were with Dean last night then?" She smirked. 

"Um yeah, how'd you know?" 

"You've go a," She laughed again before finishing her sentence. "You've got a hickey there." She giggled, pointing to the purple mark just above my hip bone, visible now that my t-shirt had lifted up when I'd reached for the sugar. 

"Oh shit." I laughed awkwardly remebering the events of the night before and missing Dean even more. 

Jo didn't stop teasing me about it all afternoon, but her jokes were cut short when we heard a shrill ring from the telephone in the back. The two of us remained silent listening to the melodical ringing then quiet. 

There was a few moments of chatter then Ellen called, "Cas, the phone's for you!" 

I was a little surprised but quickly made my way to the telephone passing Ellen on the way who gave me a warm smile and a gentle pat on the shoulder. 

"Hello?" I spoke into the phone trying to hide my confusion. 

"Cas?" 

I knew it was Dean immediately, and judging by the crack in his voice when he said my name I gathered he was upset. 

"Dean, what's wrong?" 

He sniffed and I felt the panic rising, was he crying? 

"My dad came back earier, not too long after you'd left. I wasn't going to mention anything about us until after Christmas... but. Well, he'd met your dad in town, who'd told him I was the reason you were gay and that he wanted to make sure we were not seeing eachother. Me and my dad had this big fight and basically, I told him. He didn't take it brilliantly..."