Chapter 25

Cas' pov

Christmas was almost unbearable. I remembered when I was little I used to look forward to Christmas. Now I just wanted it to be over.

My parent's didn't get me presents. I didn't get them anything other than a card either. My mother put it up above the tv but when I returned a little later it had disappeared.

Because my mom spent all morning cooking I thought it was rude to decline so I sat at the table with my family avoiding eye contact with my dad at all costs.

"It's great thanks mom." I smiled.

"The vegetables are a bit overcooked." My dad complained. I rolled my eyes, as if he could do better. "What, have you got something to say?" He snapped at me and I abruptly shook my head.

We ate our food mostly in silence after that, my mom occationally trying to fill in the silences with random comments. When we finished I washed up, and managed to slip out into the back yard just as my dad started to preach about disrispectful teenagers and some crap about how damaging the internet was.

I sat on the grass in the cold air and pulled out my phone. It barely rang at all before it was answered.

"Hey." I spoke quietly so I wouldn't attract too much attention from my parents inside.

"Hey, happy christmas!" Dean smiled through the phone.

"How's your day been?" I asked laying back and pulling at the grass.

"Alright, my dad's not really mentioned what happened the other week, but he hasn't been too mean either. I had a nice day with Sammy though. What about you?"

I couldn't help but smile, maybe John had been thinking about what I'd said. "Oh, well, honestly it's been pretty shit, but I'm ok."

"I miss you." Dean mumbled.

I giggled, "Before we got together I never imagined you'd be the clingy type."

"Shut up." Dean laughed then sighed and I lay on the grass with a smile plastered to my face.

"Do you think I could come over tomorrow? Just to quickly say hi." Dean continued.

"Not tomorrow, I've got family coming over, but I could meet you the day after, on Monday." I continued.

"Ok, sounds good, I'll see you on Monday." One of my favourite things about calling Dean was hearing his voice change slightly and knowing he's grinning on the other side.

Suddenly my I heard my father shout, "What are you doing out there, it's cold!"

"Dean, I've got to go, but I'll see you soon." I said hurriedly standing up.

"Ok, good luck with your family tomorrow. I love you."

"I love you too." I replied, I don't think I'd ever stop feeling my heart pound and my stomach knot with happiness every time Dean said that.

As if Christmas with my parents wasn't bad enough, the next day I had to survive my parents, and my dad's brother and his perfect family. I was under strict instructions to keep quiet and behave by my father before my family members arrived.

It wasn't long before my uncle, aunt and three immaculate cousins appeared in my living room.

I tried to help my mom with the cooking but it was obvious I was just getting in the way.

"Castiel, why don't you show your cousins your bedroom." My uncle sighed and despite my internal protest I agreed.

I took them into my bedroom and sat on the bed awkwardly unsure of what to say or do.