Chapter 22

Dean's Pov

"Do I look ok?" I asked my friends worriedly. 

"Dude you look great." Gabe smiled patting my back. 

"Dean, stop stressing it'll be fine." Anna smiled and Jo squeezed my hand. 

Suddenly the doors opened and I froze. Thankfully it was just Benny who I'd asked to come last minute. 

"Hey!" He smiled talking to each person briefly before reaching me.

"So you're doing this all for Cas huh?" He said a little confused and bewildered. 

The reason I invited Benny was because I wanted to try out telling someone who didn't already know about me and Cas. To see if I had the courage. If it felt right. 

"Yeah, sorry I didn't tell you sooner Benny, I just wasn't sure how you'd react." 

"I'd never care brother, I always thought you two would be good together." He smiled. 

"You really think so?" I asked my heart hammering loudly against my ribcage. 

He nodded and just like that all of my worries about coming out or my sexuality melted away. All of that would fall into place eventually. Now all I needed to worry about was seeing Cas again, and getting him back. 

The next time the doors opened my mind went blank. 

Everyone, even Benny went over to greet him so at first I couldn't even catch a glimpse. But they soon parted and there he was smiling, alive.

The last time I'd seen him he was in a hospital bed so pale and weak. But now he looked like himself again, wearing a warm black jumper and drowned in pretty blue light. It was the boy I'd fallen in love with. It was Castiel. 

Cas' Pov

My first instinct was to turn and run. I couldn't face him, I wasn't ready. 

But the warning look I received from Charlie told me that wasn't an option. I took a shaky breath and fixed my eyes on Dean who was walking towards me. 

"Go on." Jo hissed and gave me gentle shove towards him so that we were eventually standing a few centimetres apart in the centre of the gym. 

I noticed that 'Can't help falling in love' by Elvis was playing over the speakers. I remembered telling Dean multiple times that it was my favourite song and couldn't decide weather to smile or cry. 

"Hi." Dean breathed, I saw his hands were shaking at his sides. 

"Hi." I replied surprised I could even produce a sound. 

"So... um, do you like it?" He smiled gesturing round the room. 

I glanced back at my friends who were all chatting amongst themselves to give us some privacy. 

"Yeah, it's really nice." 

"Good." He stared at me as if he'd never seen me before. There was a brief silence before Dean continued. "Ok I'm going to cut the bullshit. I've been an absolute dick. I'll admit, when we first got together I wasn't sure how serious I was about it, but I did really like you. Then that day with Lisa, she kissed me and I was so shocked that I didn't do anything but I know now that's no excuse, I should've just told her to leave." 

I realised I'd never properly let Dean explain, and all of this came as a shock to me. I'd let my own insecurities tell me it was my fault and that Dean didn't like me. I kept quiet as he continued to explain. 

"I was going to apologise to you, but Lisa came to me that next week. She'd figured out I liked you and threatened to tell everyone if I didn't go to prom with her. Once again I know now that was stupid and I should've let her do her worst. Anyway when I got your voicemail I thought I'd lost you. And for some stupid reason it took that to realise how much I need you.