23: weekend part five: sunday

Shinichi's POV:
I wake up, safe in Kaito's arms. Wolf chan is asleep on the floor, sprawling across the door, blocking it shut, whilst Arthur is chewing on a scrap of leather. I'm still Shinichi, thank goodness, and Kai is still fast asleep. I gently disentangle myself from him, waking him without meaning to, so I could stretch and go to the toilet. Kaito groans softly, wiping the corners of his eyes as he sits up. I'm already leaving the room, wolf chan leaping up and moving the moment I look at the door. I return, to see Kai sat on the edge of the bed, a frown on his beautiful face.

"Kaito? What's wrong?" I ask him, wanting to call him Kai~chan again, but feeling too awkward to. He doesn't say a word, but hands his tablet over to me silently. He's got the local news up on the screen. It's headline screams loudly. Another victim. Unlike others, who wouldn't make the connection between these cases, I know Gin and Boss have claimed another victim, that made five so far, including kai~chan, who made it out alive. Four murders and one attempted murder. I want to help the police, to put Gin and Boss behind bars, though I was starting to have doubts about vermouth, she hadn't done anything illegal since the organisation had been taken down, unless you count being alive when your supposed to be dead.

"Shin~chan, please, I think you'll be safer as conan-kun for now. I don't know what I'd do if they got their target..." the magician thief, the all cheerful, never beaten kaitou kid, is worried about me. I make up my mind, I'm going to help the police, tell them what 'conan' knows, but I'm going to need Kai~chan and Tagaki keiji's help. I take a deep breath.

"Kait...Kai..Kai~chan? Let's go and talk to Megure keibu, shinichi and conan will be in the same room though..." I ask him, and he grins, his cheeky, kaitou kid grin. If there's one thing that Kaito will always enjoy, it's making the police look like fools. I'm not defending that or anything, but seriously, it's not that hard. We dress, heading downstairs to make coffee and hot chocolate. Wolf chan, Arthur kun and the doves follow. Haibara is asleep on the sofa, leaning on hattori's shoulder. I notice the gleam in Kaito's eyes as he takes a picture for blackmail, as I notice hattori is still a teenager.

Hattori wakes up, and insists on coming with us after interrogating us thoroughly, but Haibara argues that she's not sure how long he's got in his teen body, and anyway, he's supposed to be missing, presumed dead. I agree with Haibara, but I'd rather hattori came with us, I've already thought of a way to explain his absence, and anyway, if what I've deduced is correct, the more detectives that back me up, the better. After all, who'd believe that such a famous person is capable of such horrendous deeds? I do feel sorry for ojiisan though, he wasn't going to like the truth.

I discuss my deductions with Hattori and Kaito quietly, changing to Conan afterwards and leaving my house. (Kaito had smoothed his hair back and put in some coloured contacts, glad to be 'playing detective' again. Seriously, he'd make a good detective if he wasn't such a kleptomaniac.) wolf chan follows us for a while, before heading off somewhere with a letter tied round her white and blue collar. Arthur follows us, Kaito walking along and talking to Hattori like he's always known him, Hattori arguing back like he would if it was actually me he was talking to, with me leading the way on my skateboard, though I hadn't pressed the 'boost' button yet.

Wolf's POV:
I follow the three boys for a short while, until I caught the faint scent of that woman I disliked, but respected. I used to think she was as evil as the rest of them, but now, I'm not so sure. I leave master Kaito arguing with hattori San and wag my tail at conan kun as I rush by, trying to follow the scent of that woman. She's nearby, sat in a cafe near the police station, but she's not in her 'normal' attire. She's disguised as an elderly woman, with a veil over her eyes. She's sat outside, watching the world go by. I approach her cautiously, wagging my tail politely. The old woman holds her hand out to me, and I sniff carefully. Yes, this is definitely her. I sit and offer my left paw, panting nervously. Please, please notice the note, we need your help obaasan.