28: I Promise!

Shinichi's POV:

     Kai leads the others into the living room, whilst I head to the study/library with Mitsuhiko, the detective boys too busy admiring his basic magic to pay any attention to me and Mitsuhiko. Once safely in the study, surrounded by doves, my friend spoke up.

    "Shinichi-Niisan? Or is it conan?" He asked accusingly. It wasn't a question. Wait. Had he figured that out on his own? Or had he seen me..... change? I look at him in disbelief, unable to form any coherent words. If this is Haibara's doing, I'm slipping a sedative in her drink and letting Kaito practice some of his tricks on her. (Something she'd probably kill me for, and if this was her doing, then I suppose it's better than the chilli powder, or was it an irritant? That she put..... as revenge.)

I was going to deny it, tell Mitsuhiko such an idea, that a child could also be a teen, was ridiculous, when he smiled nervously, in a way that made me shudder. I nodded to my friend silently, leaning against the door and asking how he knew. Why he even knew really.

"You keep telling us that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. Ne, Conan?" I smile, he was quoting one of my favourite lines from Sherlock Holmes. "Well, I kinda always knew you were weird, no one else at school is as smart as you, I mean, how many of us seven year olds can spend a whole lesson asleep and still get top marks? Also, the way you behave is more like ran-oneesan or heiji-Niisan. I saw you use that bow tie of yours to make hakase's voice once, and your way of thinking makes us detective boys feel stupid, when we're actually top of the class not counting you." Mitsuhiko has put as much thought into this as Ran did. Why am I surrounded by people with above average intelligence? But why am I not surprised? I suppose the detective boys were bound to find out eventually.

"Shinichi-Niisan? I saw you, as we came in. You were conan. No one else saw. I won't tell them." I guess there's no hiding it anymore. I was planning on telling him and the other two anyway, when this was all over. I sigh, kneeling down so I'm face to face with my young friend. I produce a pair of glasses from my pocket, focusing for the briefest of moments, and I'm conan again. Mitsuhiko smiles, laughing quietly.

"You're a pretty good actor, Shinichi-Niisan."

"Mitsuhiko, just call me Shinichi." I tell him, putting my glasses on. I was debating wether to just show the others, but something told me Haibara and Doyle would throw a fit. I change back to Shinichi, feeling a familiar pain run through me as I do. No. Not now. We're so close...

"Shinichi-Niisan?" Mitsuhiko asks me worriedly, as I clutch my chest. This wasn't like my usual panicked changes. It was different. I looked to my friend, fear evident on his face.

"Get Kaito, hurry!" I managed to cry, as another wave of this oh so familiar yet unfamiliar pain raced through me. Mitsuhiko noticed the urgency in my voice, and raced out of the study, shouting for 'Kuroba-San'. She warned me I thought bitterly, wishing I'd listened to her now. My vision was getting blurry now, but I felt the warmth of someone pressing their body close to me, and as my hand touched long fur, I realised wolf-chan was beside me. Was I laying on the floor? Or was I still knelt down? I'm confused, disoriented. I know I'm in the study/library, but all I'm really aware of is how much pain I'm in.

"Oi, shin~chan? shin~chan!" It Kai's voice, but it's distant. I can't stay awake for much longer. Wolf-chan is whining, and the last thing I know before I black out is the warm arms of Kaito wrapping around me. I'm sorry Kai, it's too much. I know I'm a Baka.

Kaito's POV:

The detective boys were scarily bright. I mean, they put most kids their age to shame, but I guess that was just shin~chan's influence. I'm in the middle of one of my favourite tricks (which much to my dismay was figured out by the little girl yoshida-chan.) when the third 'normal' member of their little group appeared, shouting my name.