Fighting Off A Side-Hoe

After a long trek together, and a lot of, "Stay on the path!" yelling from both Peter, Charlie, and Gamora, the Guardians made it to the massive golden ball that was Sovereign's Palace. They hadn't exactly known what they were looking for, at first, so the plan was to find the nicest looking golden structure then infiltrate it. 

Their previous tactic didn't need to be used, it turned out. As soon as they looked at the outline of the city, the massive golden ball had done it. It screamed 'palace.' Two cone shaped figures slanted diagonally held up the golden ball that deemed itself worthy of a palace, as it was both pretty and higher off the ground than a few other buildings surrounding it.  

Charlie stood at the base of the stairs and pondered whether or not she was technically needed at the meeting. Looking up the hundreds, if that, number of steps, she didn't know if she was still in good enough shape to tackle them and not feel like death afterwards. She didn't understand how she could fear a flight of stairs more than an Infinity Stone, but, she figured, her priorities were elsewhere. 

"I think I'm gonna sit this one out, y'all," called Charlie up the stairs. 

The Guardians came to a stop at their steps, some higher than the others. Baby Groot had the same idea as Charlie. He had stopped and sat on the tip of her boot, staring at the stairs in discomfort and a slight hint of disgust.

"Stop being lazy," said Peter. He came down the steps and held his arms out. "Do you want me to carry you? Because I don't want to, but I will. If you absolutely need it."

Charlie placed the back of her hand on her forehead. "Oh, dear, suddenly, I feel very faint. The world is shaking. The ground is crumbling out from underneath me. I see a bright, white light--"

Peter rolled his eyes. While she was parading around and faking her sickness, he held his foot near her shoe. Groot climbed onto his shoe instead, then up his pant leg and into his pocket. Peter waited for the little, "I am Groot," as confirmation of him being all right, then he swept Charlie off her feet and began the second half of the trek up the stairs. 

"You're lucky I have thighs of steel," grunted Peter. 

Charlie kissed his cheek. "And that you love me so much."

"Yes. But, more importantly, thighs of steel."

Charlie appreciated Peter's effort, but the poor man was huffing and puffing as he carried her, so she decided to walk once she was able to see the door. Together, they were wheezing and felt as if exhaustion would kill them before Sovereign's people would, when their family would inevitably say something to offend the High Priestess. 

"Humans walk so slow," Gamora tried to whisper to Drax. 

"Aliens suck at whispering," said Peter loudly. 

Rocket was the first to make it up the stairs. He collapsed on the platform, which caused Gamora to trip over him, and Drax to point and guffaw when he finally made it up the stairs. Charlie and Peter rolled their eyes and helped them up. They fixed up everyone's hair and clothes, prepping them to look presentable, then they opened up the Palace doors and entered. 

A golden rug led from the doorway to the back of the hall. Peter and Charlie led the Guardians down the golden rug, each observing the Grand Hall. Citizens were gathered on the sidelines of the rug to watch the Guardians arrive. At the end of the hall, a golden throne with a backdrop curtain of gold, blue, and silver sat. 

The High Priestess, Ayesha, sat in the carved shape of her body. The throne engulfed her. She wore far nicer clothes than the others in the room, in darker golden tones than the tone of her body.