Bad Call

The Collector was a strange man. He had purple hair, a fur coat and a look that screamed, 'I am higher than you' glued to his face.

"The orb, if you would," he drawled.

Charlotte let go of Peter's hand to pull the silver orb from her pocket. Hesitantly, she handed it over to the Collector.

He popped it open easily, and for a second, Charlotte wondered why they hadn't thought about doing that.

A purple gem sat in one half of the orb. The Collector set down both halves on the table in front of the group.

"This is an Infinity Stone. There are several others like it. The power it holds can destroy entire planets, with just one touch to the surface," he began.

The Collector went on to explain the powers of the stones; the damage they could do if beings of great power harnessed them for evil use.

Charlotte was amazed, yet terrified at the same time. If this stone got into Ronan's grasp, the entire galaxy would be screwed.

Knowing that there were others in the universe, with powers similar to the one in front of her, she wondered if anyone had a run in with another stone.

"Blah, blah. We're all very--" Rocket shuttered, imitating the Collector, "-- fascinated. Can we get payed?"

"How will you take your payments?" The Collector asked.

"Units, whitey," Rocket snapped.

The Collector stepped away to find the money. Seconds later, he noticed the silence. His clients were observing his assistant, who was in a trance, stepping towards the exposed stone.

"No.." he breathed, but it was too late.

The pink lady, Karina, screamed as she touched the gem. A mold started absorbing her body; the skin on her body crackled a sickening black.

The group backed up cautiously, unsure of what would happen.

"Maybe we should get out of here.." Charlotte suggested, her eyes wide at the sight in front of her.

"Good idea!"

It was just in time, too. Gamora shoved Peter along, the two took cover under a desk.

When Peter turned to make sure Charlie followed, his lips split. He tried to crawl from underneath the desk, but Gamora wouldn't let go of him.

"I can't leave her!" Peter cried.

Gamora firmly grabbed his jacket and pulled him back down,"No! Quill, she'll be fine!"

Turns out, Charlotte was just fine for the moment. Groot snatched Rocket first, then turned and grew out his hand to grab Charlotte as well. The tree cradled both his friends in his chest, taking long strides to exit the building.

Charlotte tried peer around Groot and see if Peter was behind them, but the grip that Groot had on her was keeping her from moving.

"Quill is fine! Him and Gamora ran off together," Rocket yelled.

Charlotte visibly relaxed. Peter was a big boy who could take care of himself, and she knew that. On the other hand, Peter Quill was also a reckless idiot.

Normally, he used his charm to get out of situations. But the scenario presented was one that no one could flirt their way out of.

The purple explosion expanded. Groot went tumbling forward, Rocket and Charlie flying from his grasp.

After the heart of the explosion ended, Peter and Gamora successfully captured the gem. After stuffing it in Peter's knapsack, the two rushed to find the rest of the group.