Kabanata 48

#JustThisOnce

Kabanata 48

I remained stuck on my place.

Okay?

That was it?

After everything that happened, iyon lang ang makukuha ko sa kanya? Okay? Isang salita? Maybe... maybe I just expected. That at least, he'd shout at me? Na magalit siya sa akin? Because at least I'd know that he still cared...

Pero wala.

Fuck. I really needed a drink.

Nang makapasok ako sa loob, agad kong napansin na naka-tingin sa akin iyong magpipinsan. They were staring at me like they were waiting for me to breakdown. So, instead, I smiled.

"What?" I asked, pretending that I was fine. "Kakain na ba? Nagugutom na si Jere."

"Are you... okay?" Maggie asked.

I nodded and smiled. "Why wouldn't I be?"

Sabi nila, kapag ang isang kasinungalingan palagi mong sinasabi, dadating ang panahon na magiging totoo na 'to... siguro ganoon na lang ang dapat gawin ko. I needed to lie, to pretend that I was okay...

And maybe someday, I would be okay.

But for now, I just needed to hurt in silence. I didn't want everyone to look at me and see how fucking hard everything was.

They began to go to the dining area. Tahimik lang ako na nakatayo sa isang gilid nang bigla akong lapitan ni Maven.

"You're a bad liar," he said.

"I'm not a bad liar, Maven. You just know me too well," I replied and pasted a smile on my face. "Let's eat."

Dumiretso kami sa kainan at nakita namin na nakaupo na silang lahat. I couldn't tell if the atmosphere was tensed or what. Normally, maingay ang bahay ng mga GDL. Psalm would always start a conversation and Maggie would be quick to shot him down. But tonight? It was just tensed.

Only one person was enjoying this.

"So, Parker, how's the law firm?" Beatrice had some nerve to ask.

"It's doing fine," Parker answered.

"And your dad?"

"Still breathing," he replied candidly like the past never happened. Like his dad didn't almost die because of everything.

I reached for the glass of water and quickly downed it.

"Do you have plans for the wedding already?" Beatrice asked again.

Parker nodded and looked at Cindy. "Yeah, but I'm letting Cindy take the wheel in this one. After all, it's her day," he said and then squeezed her hand. Napa-ngiti si Cindy kay Parker.

My hand trembled. Maven held it under the table and then looked at me. My lips quivered.

"Do you know that Genesis volunteered to be your wedding planner? Being that she's got a lot of experience in that area. Am I right, Genesis?" Beatrice asked and smiled at me. This old hag! "You were engaged thrice, right?"

Mas lalong hinigpitan ni Maven ang hawak sa kamay ko. I was shaking so bad.

"Food's finally here!" Psalm quickly exclaimed.

"Oh, my gosh, I'm famished!" sabi naman ni Maggie. She even clapped her hands. "Let's eat, people!"

The maids began to serve food. Everyone's anxiety heightened. It was only Beatrice, but she's already doing a very good job. Mas lalo an siguro kung nandito pa iyong ibang matatanda.