The Proposition

Chapter Three: The Proposition

---

Years passed, both Nao and Kabuto took different spy missions, all of them they took them together, though none of them came back fruitful... it seemed like the time of war, need, and greed was finally over.

-

"Come on Kabuto, I sense someone's chakra approaching... I think it's a foe," Nao says, looking nervously around, obviously on guard. Four years has passed since both her and Kabuto's first mission, they both learned many but the biggest thing that they learned was that a shinobi can never trust anyone- expecially someone of suspicion. Kabuto grunts in understanding and he quickly catches up to her, they were both near the border of the Land of Earth and Land of Waterfalls. Due to recently finishing a month long mission they were both heading back to the Land of Fire- Konoha to report what they have spied... which wasn't much, things were becoming peaceful- too peaceful... But before they could reach the border they were attacked.

-

"Are you sure that is her?" Nao asks uncertainly looking at Kabuto who had a solemn expression on his face.

"Yeah, if you do not believe me check for yourself, little Nao-chan," Kabuto says sadly, looking down at his shaking and bloody hands, "I tried to heal her but the injury that I had inflicted upon her was to great... and she... she died..." Kabuto was on the verge of tears, his lower lip trembles, "I am sorry Nao-chan."

"No," Nao moves the white cloth that covers the dead kunoichi's face- their laid dead, Nonou, "but why did she attack us?" Nao mumbles to herself confused.

"I could answer that question for you, little one," a slithery voice says- Nao turns around surprised, she had not sensed any chakra signals and she was a fairly good at sensing one's chakra even if it was suppressed.

"Who are you?" Kabuto asks, wielding a kunai knife.

"I am terribly disappointed that you do not know me- or remember me that is," the man states- to both children the man seemed vaguely familiar, with long black hair and snake like eyes, Nao could have sworn she had seen those eyes before but she just could not lay her finger on where she saw them before...  

"Nao-chan,  give me some bandages," Kabuto says, Nao gives him a look and taps her left foot on the ground, her hand on her right hip, "please?" Kabuto adds after seeing Nao's expression.

"Hai!" Nao exclaims her few moments of seriousness gone as she digs through the bag of medical supplies. Their patient watches them curiously, his golden eyes glowing in amusement.

"Are you two medical ninja's?" Their patient questions,  Kabuto nods as he wraps the man's arm carefully,  "but aren't you two a bit young to be able to be medical ninjas?"

"Nao-chan and I have both been taught medical ninjutsu by Nonou, sure we are not as good as the legendary Tsunade, but we are good enough to offer some assistance, " Kabuto explains, finishing wrapping up the injury.

"Well thank you little ones, I hope to see you both again, I am Orochimaru."

"Orochimaru," Nao whispers to herself, finally remembering the man's name.

"Ah, it looks like I am remembered... that is a good thing."

"Okay, so what I remembered you- what do you want?" Nao asks on guard, she did not see any Konoha headband on him or anything that would show that he was a Leaf Shinobi, "You see little ones, I am now a rogue shinobi of the Hidden Leaf village," Orochimaru says, hearing that both Kabuto and Nao crouch in defensive positions, "Ah, no need of that, young ones- I am not here to attack you guys, I am here to explain to you here why precious little Nonou here attacked to kill yopu two and give you a proposition."