Opposite Sides Of The Same Coin

(Disclaimer: I am only borrowing these characters.)

Hermione POV

I turned to Hannah after he left. "What an arrogant toad."

"I know. But his father is high up so we all have to grit our teeth and bare it."we both simultaneously rolled our eyes and laughed. The subject of Malfoy was then dropped. We started talking about our houses.

"Which house do you think you're going to be in?" I asked. I have read about them of course, but I'd like to hear another's point of view.

"I'm not sure. A heap of my family's been in Hufflepuff, so I'd like to join them. Hufflepuff values loyalty, hard work, patience and fairness." she smiled.

"You'd fit in perfectly." I smiled. "Can you tell me some of the other house traits? Because what I've read, is that loyalty is a Gryffindor trait."

She huffed. "I hate it when they pass of loyalty as being a Gryffindor thing. Speaking of, their traits are bravery, courage, nerve and chivalry. But they are also impulsive."

"Okay, Ravenclaw?"

"Ravenclaws are intelligence, wisdom, wit, individuality and sharpness."

"Slytherin?"

"That's the house that Malfoy and the rest of his goons are going to be in. They value ambition, blood purity, charm and cunning."

"Argh, I'm definitely not joining them." Our compartment door opened, a round boy came in with a girl.

"Susan!" Hannah ran up to her and they hugged

"Can you help us find Neville's toad?" Susan asked.

"Of course." Hannah answered for the both of us. "Oh, this is Hermione Granger. Hermione, Susan Bones."

"Hi. Hermione and Hannah, this is Neville Longbottom." Susan introduced us.

"Hi. So, Neville, what's your toad's name?"

"Trevor." Neville then began describing him to us.

"Okay, let's split up, we'll be faster that way." We each started visiting different compartments. I knocked on a door and a girl with a blunt front fringe opened it.

"Have any of you seen a toad? A boy called Neville's lost one." I looked into the compartment, to my horror, inside was Malfoy and the rest of them.

"A toad? I would've lost a toad a long time ago." Malfoy sniggered.

"Yeah!" One of the large boys laughed. "Good one Draco."

"We haven't. Don't bother us again." the girl with the fringe snapped. I rolled my eyes and went to leave. A boy with skin like chocolate mouthed 'Sorry.' I smiled, then left. He seemed nice, I wondered why he was hanging out with idiots like them.

When the train stopped, we went into the boats to the castle. It looked magical. I was whispering facts about the castle to the people around me. I've practically memorised 'Hogwarts, A History', then we walked into the castle. I felt my eyes widen, like saucers. Then, a strict looking woman in emerald green robes met us outside the door. She made a small speech. I could tell I was going to love her. We walked in, the candles, the tables, everything, was even more beautiful than I've ever imagined. I waited eagerly, I just wanted the school year to start. Eventually, my name was called. I walked up to the podium and practically shoved the hat on my head.

"Hmm, you are bright, very bright." the voice paused. "But you value bravery, hmmm, interesting. You wish to learn as much as you can, so I would say Ravenclaw. But a major Ravenclaw trait - that is often overlooked - is individuality. And you, my dear don't have an ounce of it."

"Hey!' I said out loud. I put my hand over my mouth and I saw a few people sniggering. One of them was that ginger boy who did that dodgy spell. I rolled my eyes.

"You wish to follow the crowd, which isn't a Ravenclaw thing to do. You wish to fit in. That and your courage will put you in... GRYFFINDOR!" The sorting hat shouted. I grinned and ran over to sit down at the table. I talked to a prefect about Transfiguration, a subject I was very interested in. Until Malfoy came. The sorting hat barley touched his head when it shouted: "SLYTHERIN". Malfoy swaggered and joined his table.

While we were eating, I heard Harry Potter talking to the prefect about the houses.

"Well, while we are different, Gryffindor and Slytherin are opposite sides of the same coin."

I thought about it and how it couldn't possibly be true.