Chapter 14

Metropolis was a bore so far. We'd reached the border and were now driving through the streets of the city only to see no crime whatsoever. There was no muggings, stabbings or drug deals going on and the sun was actually out. How did people live without all the excitement? We decided to head straight for the circus, Metropolis not seeming nearly entertaining enough to tour before hand.

"At least we know we'll make front page here, I mean what have we got to compete against? A kitty stuck in a tree?" He chuckled maniacally.

"I'm actually right here." I commented and he took his eyes from the road to give me a deadpanned look.

"Kat please tell me that you did not just use a pun." I only laughed in response, causing him to groan dramatically.

"Maybe." Before he could insult my humor further we had already arrived at the circus. We parked the car infront of the entrance, giving each other a maniacal smirk before getting out of the car, slamming the door simultaneously. He threw my the keys and pushed them into the pocket of my jeans. My vibrant hair immediately became victim to the strong wind and I ran a hand through it.

"Shall we?" Jerome offered to link arms like a gentleman and I gladly accepted, my sunglasses resting on the bridge of my nose playfully and he pushed them back, giving me a quick kiss before we strolled arm in arm to the ticket booth.

"Where to first?" I questioned, knowing he had a better idea on who to kill than I did.

"Hm, I'm thinking we should work our way from the back. Better for the getaway."

"Well aren't you just a villainous mastermind?" I whispered playfully, my smirk widening.

"Sure am." We strode in like we owned the place, everyone giving us second looks because of our confidence alone. Only then did it occur to me that we hadn't brought any weapons with us. 

"Hey mastermind." He turns to me with a dopey smile. "We didn't bring any weapons." The statement doesn't seem to phase him in the slightest as he leads me to one of the smaller side show tents,

"They always keep guns in here for props." He clicks open an innocent looking trunk only to reveal an alarming amount of knives and guns.

"You had some messed up shows here if those are the props." I mumble, taking my pick of the objects I was going to use to kill people,

"Yes, messed up was quite the understatement." His voice was softer and his eyes quickly flickered from mine to the floor before he returned to his usual demeanor. "But this'll be the last show for them anyhow!" I giggle at him before a random guy walks in, spotting us and the trunk.

"Hey! What do you think you're doing?" He shouts but Jerome's quick to slit his throat, the blood splattering against his face in such a way that it reminded me all too much of the events of the charity ball.

"Ready Kat?" I nodded vaguely, taking his blood coated hand and letting his lead me through the circus, shooting and stabbing anyone along the way. He had done all the killing so far, my mind in a fog and the thought of killing someone seeming impossible.

It wasn't until he had a man, maybe in his forties, on his knees infront of me. He pointed my gun in between his eyes and guided my hand to the trigger. "I can't." I whisper, looking so intently into the innocent man's eyes and tears welling in my own. I wasn't a killer. Not like this anyway.

"What do you mean Kat? You said we could do this together, just shoot him already." He coaxed me, putting pressure on my finger in an attempt to make me pull the trigger.

"Please Miss-" His voice begged and I squeezed my eyes shut. When I opened them it was my father in front of me. "Come on Katerina, you know this isn't you. I raised you better than this." His words echoed through my skull, my fingers loosened around the gun and it fell to the floor, my hands shaking at the vision.