Chapter 22

The police were now after Edward and I,  I can't say I'm surprised. After yesterdays event it had become known to Gotham that I was now side kick to Edward, they called us many things in the papers, all infuriating to Edward bar one.

Gotham's newest criminal duo, who proclaim themselves to be Riddler and Query terrorized the GCPD. We believe the two are former Arkham patients Edward Nygma and Katerina Ferdine. For more information turn to page 27.

Edward's face lit up with a pleased expression as he scanned through the pages to land on the 27th, as he read through the page his smirk dropped. "It would seem like you have gained far more interest than anticipated." He hummed and I shrunk further into the seat. We sat at the dining table of his hide out, he had let me out of my locked room and allowed me to sit opposite him. I held a glass of orange juice in my now trembling hands, having to place it down because of the shaking.

"What do you mean?" I ask, awaiting whatever punishment he deemed fit for what had happened in the paper.

"Well let's read shall we?" He glances up at me and I immediately feel a chill down my spine as to what was going to come of this. "This morning was the wrong doings of partners Edward Nygma and Katerina Ferdine. Now it was said that Edward Nygma, or as he names himself 'The Riddler' was the mastermind behind the terrible events but it is his new side kick Katerina Ferdine that sparks interest. If this name seems familiar it would no doubt lead you to her very complicated backstory." He reads out and my eyes flicker from him to the table.

"I didn't know-" I tried to explain myself but he put his hand up to silence me.

"I'm well aware of you not having involvement in this." He began, putting the newspaper to the side and keeping eye contact with me, causing me to shift away from his gaze. "But it seems that given your already... Extensive reputation we will have to make it clear exactly who you are working for."

"And how would we do that?" I questioned, fearful of his intentions.

"You seem to have not gotten much brighter despite my efforts." He mused with a slight smirk. "We will just have to invite your little friends to a public event! Where do you suppose we go?" He asks me and I glance around the room, searching for an answer.

"I don't think any of the suggestions I make will work quite as well," I answer, trying not to say the wrong thing and trigger his anger.

"Yes, well you're right my answer will be more superior either way." He looks to think it over. "I suppose we could plan a few traps around Arkham, bring you back some fond memories." He taunted and I laughed along with him though my anxiety surrounding that place was no laughing matter.

"Arkham sounds perfect." I agreed reluctantly. He nodded in approval and we spent the day planning elaborate traps to set around Arkham, all of which will put Jerome in danger.

~~~

It had taken us a matter of weeks to properly plan all of the events that will take place today. Edward had somehow gotten hold of Jerome's phone number, which did and didn't surprise me considering that last time I saw Jerome he didn't even own a phone but I hadn't seen him in quite a while now.

Edward pressed the phone to his ear and spoke into the line in his usual professional tone with a taunting touch. "Mr. Valeska, just the person I was looking for." He pressed the speaker button so I could listen to the conversation. 

"What have you done with her? I swear to god-" I feel the very familiar shock and yelp in surprise. 

"Now now let's play nice shall we?" I could practically feel Jerome's anger over the line and it left my eyes watery.