Chapter 2

I walked forward and knelt in front of Mila. I reached out towards her but paused when she moved away and whimpered. "Open your eyes, Mila," I said, trying to keep my voice soft even though it wasn't working. "She is gone." My voice was hard, and I was glad that Mila knew it wasn't at her.

I wrapped my arms around the female and rubbed her back while she cried after she flung herself at me. "I got you," I crooned, closing my eyes. I took a deep breath, trying to control the anger that I felt. "Shhhh, it's going to be all right." My heart broke because I didn't know if it was going to be all right for her or not. However, I promised her because I would never let anything happen to her if I was around.

"I-I h-hu-r-rt," she stuttered out while sobbing. She buried her face into my neck and took a deep breath, relaxing. Mila clutched herself on me as if I was her life support and/or mother. And I had a feeling that she thought of me as her mother, and I couldn't help but be slightly proud.

"I know." I pulled her back, causing her to pout. I smirked and tapped her lip. "Now, now. I need to feel where everything hurts and then help you out. Ok?"

Mila grabbed my hand and placed it on her cheek. She nodded, letting me feel it. "Ok," she said, sticking her thumb in her mouth.

"Do I need to get Bethany to get the hot sauce, again?" I scowled teasingly. I smirked when she shook her head no and took her thumb out of her mouth with a pop.

"I-I di-dn-n-'t-t s-s-stick m-m-m-y t-t-t-thu-m-m-m-b in m-m-my mou-u-u-th," Mila stuttered.

"Yes, you did. I heard it."

"N-n-n-u-h h-h-u-h," she said.

"You did. I even saw you," an amused voice said behind me. She chuckled when Mila squeaked and ran into me, causing me to groan in pain when her head hit my chin. "Relax, Child," she said soothingly. "I don't think I can hurt you, not with the look that your friend is giving me."

Mila didn't say a word but buried her face in my neck.

"Carley? I have everything," I heard Bethany say, tearing my unseeing gaze off of the lady to glance at her. "Do you know what's wrong yet?"

I shook my head and planted a soft kiss on Mila's head. "You need to let go, Lil' Cup. I need to see what is wrong with you and help you."

Mila groaned, but she moved back and let me feel for her injuries. Once I hit something that was out of the norm, she whimpered and pulled away. "Owie," she said, and I indicated that I knew.

"What is your name?" the female asked.

I could feel her staring at me, and I knew that she was talking to me. "Carley," I replied, not looking at her. I grabbed the bandages from Bethany and nodded, indicating my thanks. "And I have been blind since birth."

"Would you like some help?" she asked. "And my name is Katherine or Kat."

"Why don't you go see who you want to adopt," Georgie said. "I mean, we can let this br- I-I mean child, help relieve the other one of stress and pain," she said dismissively. "We have a couple of good girls that need a good home, nothing like..." She trailed off, seeing something that she didn't like.

I frowned when I, again, heard growling and turned my head in that direction. I huffed when I couldn't sense where the growling was coming from, and I hoped that I would be able to soon. It was driving me crazy because I knew that it was so close and yet so far.

I shook my and started to wrap up Mila's wrist, knowing that it was sprained. I had Bethany talking to Mila about something, which let me do it without her attention on me. I was glad because I knew sprains hurt worse than anything, at least according to her.

"Actually, I think I will take Carley with me," Katherine said dismissively. "As well as call my ma- husband and have him close this place down."

"And why is that?" Georgie screeched, and I hissed in pain because of the loudness of her voice. She was glaring at the other female, and I knew that I didn't need sight to know that.

"Because," Katherine replied, her voice raising an octave above her normal voice. "The place is a dump. The girls look rather skinny as if they haven't been fed properly in Goddess, who knows how long. Looking around this room, I say that everyone sleeps in here, and from the blankets on the floor in the back corner, I say that Carely sleeps there. The only girls that seem to have newer clothes are the ones that seemed to be the ones that bully others. I mean, look at Carley's clothes, for goodness sake. They are too short and probably too tight on her. However, she cannot complain because she might get beaten by you or the other girls."

I stared at her blankly, my mouth wide open. No one had ever wanted me before because of my "disability," and no one has ever said that this place was horrible or not. However, she was right. This place was not a good place to live in.

"She will be eighteen next month. Why do you want to adopt someone that old?" Georgie asked. "She's just going to be a waste of space."

Again, I heard a faint growl, but it stopped when I turned in that direction. What the hell hearing?! I thought, pursing my lips. Are you trying to make me look crazy?!

"I don't think she will be a waste of space," Katherine said. "Get packed up, Carley. We are leaving."

"You can't just take her without my permission!" Georgie screeched. "I won't let you."

"Try and stop me, and you will see how dark I can get," she replied coldly. There was some shuffling, and I was sure that Katherine was in front of Georgie. "If I were you, I'd start finding good lawyers because I will shut this place down and find people who will take these girls in and give them better lives they deserve than living here."

"Follow me to my office, and we will get the paperwork filled out," Georgie said, probably thinking that it was best for her to follow Katherine's orders.

Well, I guess Karma does come and bite people in the butt.