Chapter 19

"Hey, man," someone said, walking into the library, followed by a couple of others. "Why are you sitting in here with these losers and not with us?"

"Because I want to sit here," Max said, and I could tell that he shrugged his shoulder. "And it is too crowded and loud in the cafeteria." There was a warning tone in his voice, and I could tell that he did not appreciate me being called a "loser."

The person, a male, laughed. "Of course, it is crowded there, Man," he said. "It's where you belong, not with these geeks and freaks."

I kicked Max's leg when he was about to growl at him and gave him what I hoped was a pointed look. Silently, I warned him not to get mad, even though what was said pissed me off as well.

Max sighed and nodded his head, probably understanding my silent gaze. "I belong here," he said, "helping my sister navigating her way through school. Besides, I do not like the crowded cafeteria. I never had."

"What did you do?" Sam asked, looking at me. He glared at me as if he could make me quiver in my shoes.

I placed my drink drown and looked at him with a blank stare. "Your glare doesn't work on me," I said. "I can't see it."

"Why not?" a different voice asked. This one was female, and I knew I hadn't met her yet. Concern filled it, and it surprised me because I didn't get along with females, except for those in my group.

"I don't know," I said sarcastically. I rubbed my hand in front of my face, not flinching or blinking. "I can't see?" I took in a deep breath and let it out, relaxing my tensed muscles. "Sorry, I am just overwhelmed."

"It's ok," the female said, and I knew that she shrugged her shoulder. She didn't care, I could tell. "I am Sandy. It's nice to meet you..."

"Carley," I replied. "My name is Carley."

"Well, it is nice to meet you, Carley," she said, and I could hear a smile in her voice. "You are very beautiful. How do you like this school so far?"

"It's overwhelming," I replied, feeling a blush appear on my face because I had no idea why she had called me beautiful. I stuffed my fork into my plate of food and turned my gaze to the male who had called me a "loser." "Besides, if he wants to sit here, then he can. What is the problem with that?"

"Well, he is popular, and it is stupid of him to hang in here," the male said. "I mean, his place is by Sam's side." He folded his arms across his chest and stared at me with a look similar to Sam's.

I gave him a deadpanned look. "If you are glaring at me, I am not intimidated by it at all. Remember, I can't see it." I nodded my head to Max. "Besides, it is his decision if he wants to sit out there or in here. You can't force him to sit somewhere he doesn't want to sit."

"I can," Sam mumbled underneath his breath, so low that no one would have been able to hear him. "What?" he asked, and I could hear the confusion in his voice because I scowled at him. "Why are you scowling at me?"

"I heard what you had said, Samuel," I replied coldly. "I have sensitive hearing and other senses, too."

"Then... what did he say?" Sandy asked, confused. "I mean, I am right next to him, and I couldn't hear what he had to say."

I shook my head. "It's not my place to tell," I replied. "It's his if he wants to repeat what he said again." I gave Sam a look and ignored his scowl. "Would you like to repeat it?"

"No," Sam replied. "I do not think that I will repeat it. Will you come out with us, or will you stay here, Max?" he asked. Warning filled his tone, and it made me bristle and purse my lips in annoyance.

Max tensed beside me and did not say a word. His heart started to pound in his chest, and I could tell that he was nervous about telling his Alpha no. However, he didn't want to leave me by myself with Peter, even though he knew that I could protect myself.

"He's not going anywhere," I said, taking a bite out of my food. "He is staying right where he is and enjoying his meal with his new sister and her friend."

Sam scoffed and rolled his eyes. "Did you just talk about yourself in the third person?" he asked. "That is stupid and being friends with him." He glared at Peter, and I heard his heart start to pound.

I gritted my teeth together and started to feel annoyed with him. All I wanted to do was bash my staff against his head until he changed his mind, but I knew that it would anger the other wolves surrounding us because I would have beaten their Alpha.

"I think you should let him stay here, Sam," Sandy said when I didn't say anything. "I mean, he looks more comfortable here than he does sitting with us. Besides, you're going to get be missed by everyone else."

The other male scoffed, and I had a feeling that he rolled his eyes. "Seriously, Sandy?" he asked. "You are going to follow her instead of him? If you ask me, he should leave her right where she is and let both freaks enjoy each other's company."

Max was about to growl but stopped when I kicked his leg. He looked at me, and I felt his scowl before he looked at the man who called me a freak. "She. Is. Not. A. Freak," he said through gritted teeth. "She is better than you, Theo, and I would gladly sit at a table where she is at." He looked at Sam. "Sorry, man, but I think that I should stay with her until she feels comfortable with the school. Maybe later."

Sam scowled and stayed silent. He didn't say a word but scoffed again, and I could tell that he rolled his eyes. "Fine, hang out with the freaks," he spat. He glared at me, and my heart broke for an odd reason. "Enjoy yourself, Maxwell. I'll be having a conversation with your father tonight."

With that, he left, followed by the rest of the people that had walked into the library room with him, leaving a tense atmosphere behind their wake.