Chapter 24

"I am sorry," she sobbed into my arms, clutching me tight as if she was afraid that I'd pull away from her. Her whole back shook while she sobbed, and my heart ached because I did not like seeing her like this, even if she did hurt me in the past. "Please forgive me. Please. I-I didn't want to do what I did. I-I never did. I-I-"

"Shhhhh," I soothed, interrupting her. "It's ok. It's ok." I rubbed her back, shocked that she apologized to me about all the beatings I had received from her and her posse. However, I made sure that she didn't know because she needed to become calmer than her hysterical state.

"No, it's not," Mandy said. "I hurt you. I hurt everyone." She clutched me tighter, and her whole body shook. "Everyone hates me," she whispered, her voice cracking. "Both groups hate me."

I sighed and closed my eyes. "I... don't hate you," I said, earning a snort from her, and I had a feeling that she rolled her eyes. "I don't like you, Mandy," I admitted, "but I don't hate you. If I hated you, I wouldn't have my arms around you."

Mandy snorted again before she sighed and nodded. She calmed down while I rubbed her back, and I felt her relax against me. "Sorry," she whispered, her voice cracking. She cleared her throat and pulled away from me.

I shook my head. "Don't be, Mandy," I replied. "You needed it and needed to get whatever off of your system. How long have you been holding onto the guilt?"

Mandy sniffled, and I had a feeling that she rubbed her eyes. "Ummmm, since Mom decided to say that I should bully you and those that w- are "different" than me. I-I felt guilty doing it, but... what could I do?" She shrugged. "I mean, I thought mother knew best, even if I had a feeling that what she was doing was morally wrong."

I nodded but stayed silent.

"It didn't help that Dad decided to leave and go back to his p- where he used to live," she muttered. "This was after you turned one, though."

She was about to say pack. I knew that she was about to say pack.

But why? Why would she say pack?

Unless she was either a Werewolf or a half-breed.

I licked my lips, debating on whether I should let her know that I knew about Werewolves and that I was in a pack full of them.

A part of me wanted to hold that information back. A part of me wanted to hold it back, but I had a feeling that she wouldn't take the initiative to contact her dad and get taken into the pack that he was in.

I had a feeling that she would say that she was an orphan and go through the process of being "in the system" with the other kids, which could be detrimental to her, especially if she could shift.

"I think you should call your dad and see if the Alpha of his pack would let you join," I said softly, making sure that no one else besides her could hear me. "Depending on how respected your dad is, I think the Alpha would allow you to."

Mandy reared back in shock and got away from me. Her heart pounded hard in her chest while fear settled on her like a warm blanket.

I stared at her with unblinking eyes and waited for her to calm herself. I stayed calm and silent, making sure I didn't startle her further.

"How do you know about Alphas?" Mandy asked, her voice a little hard. "And about Werewolves?"

"Because I was taught about them," I replied.

"By who?"

I shrugged. "Some friends of mine taught me about Werewolves and all of that stuff. They're supernatural creatures as well."

"What are they?"

I shrugged again. "No idea," I replied. "I just know that they were supernatural creatures." I licked my lips and cleared my throat while I shifted on my butt. "However, there was one person that I do know of who was a witch."

"A witch?" Mandy asked, and I nodded. "You know a witch."

"I thought that I said I did," I replied.

"When did you meet her?"

"When I was young. She made and gave me the staff." I gestured to where I had set my staff down after Mandy had hugged me.

"Are you talking about your cane?" she asked, and confusion filled her voice. I had a feeling that she cocked her head and studied me before she looked at the staff and then looked at me. "Are you saying a witch gave you that?"

I nodded. "She made it and gave it to me."

"What's the witch's name?" she asked. "Do I know her?"

I shook my head. "I don't think you do," I replied. "Her name is Fate. I do not know what her last name is. She had never given it to me."

"How did you know that I was going to say pack?" she asked. "I could have tried to say any other word."

I shrugged. "It was a good guess," I replied. I shifted and got comfortable, having a feeling that we would be here for a while. "Now, can you shift?"

She sighed, and I had a feeling that she shook her head. "My dad said that I might be able to shift if I find my mate and have him mark me," she replied. "However, I don't think anyone would want me." Sadness filled her voice, and my heart ached for her.

"Why not?" I asked and cocked my head. "I am sure that someone would be happy to have you as a mate."

She snorted, and I had a feeling that she shook her head. Hesitantly, she moved to my side and sat down, laying her head on my shoulder. Her whole was tense, and I had a feeling that she thought I would push her away.

However, I did the exact opposite, placed my arm around her shoulders and rubbed her arm, leaving goosebumps. I knew that she needed the comfort that I could surprisingly give her and was happy to give it to her.

"I don't think so," she said. "I mean, I've hurt a lot of people and was a total bitch." She snorted in disgust, and I had a feeling that she rolled her eyes. "And it is not the fact that I am part wolf."

"Ok, what else?" I asked, knowing that there were other reasons why she thought her mate wouldn't want her.

"I have had sex before, which you already know. I am not a virgin. Wolves are kind of sacrilegious as to when they should have sex and who they should have sex with."

"Some wolves," I said. "Some wolves have that mindset, but I don't think that all of them think that way."

Mandy chuckled and nodded her head. "Ya," she said. "I think some wolves have that mindset while others don't."

"That's not the real reason, though," I said. "What is it?"

"How do you know that is not the real reason?" she asked while she looked at me. The smell of fear came off of her, and I wondered what it was. What made her so afraid of finding her mate and him staying with her?

"Well, you're afraid," I replied. "And I know that this is a subject that you don't like. And I have a feeling that it is with that one. So, are you going to tell me, or..?" I trailed off and raised an eyebrow.

Mandy sighed and looked away from me. She stayed in my arm while her heart pounded in her chest. "Ummmmmm...." She cleared her throat and looked at her hands, and I had a feeling that they were shaking. "If my father didn't want me, then why would my mate want me?" she asked, her voice cracking. "It doesn't make sense."

She sniffled, and I had a feeling that her bottom lip quivered while she shook her head. "It doesn't make sense to me if my mate wants me when my father doesn't. My dad was repulsed by me, and I have a feeling that my mate will be as well."

Mandy cleared her throat and rubbed her eyes. "So why bother? Why bother waiting when you're just going to get rejected anyway?"