Chapter 12

"Can we be done today?" Peter asked from where he was struggling to balance a piece of wood on his outstretched arms. "My arms are burning."

I walked behind him and flicked my staff at his ankles, and he fell and dropped the piece of wood. "What time is it?" I asked. "If it is close to noon, then no. Your balance is still off, and so is your breathing." I pointed my staff at him. "Do not lie to me about the time, Peter," I warned.

"I wasn't going to," Peter muttered. He scowled and narrowed his eyes. There was some shuffling sound as he got something out of his pocket and looked at it. "It's 11:30," he said with a groan. "We have been doing this for two hours."

I shrugged my shoulder. "You are done for today," I said. "Will it take us long to get there?"

"About thirty minutes," he replied. He stood, groaning. "I am going to be sore."

I didn't reply but rolled my eyes. Using my staff, I gestured for him to lead the way and followed him as he walked past.

"What is the purpose of holding that branch?" he asked, glancing at me. "And doing the stance."

"It is to help strengthen the muscles of your arms and core and to help you find your balance," I replied. "When you are pushed or shoved, then your top half has to stay still while your body moves with the force of the push."

"But, the stick can be kicked out of my hands."

"When you're ready, then we will work on blocking and sensing the other person's movements to counter their attack," I replied. "You're not ready yet."

Peter was silent, but I could tell that he was mocking me. "Oow," he said, moving to the side and rubbing his head where I had hit him with a stick. "What was that for?"

"For mocking me," I replied. I gave him a blank look when he just stared at me. "No, I did not see you mock you. I am blind."

"I know," Peter said. "I figured..." He stopped talking.

"Heard, or did you know when I walked towards you?" I asked. I cocked my head and stared ahead when I sensed something coming towards us at great speeds.

The pounding... feet happened every so often and sent waves towards my sensitive feet. They happened every so often, and I think that they were from running... creatures.

"I heard it from some people. Carley, why did you stop walking?"

"Something is coming this way and fast," I said. I tightened my grasp around my staff. The urge to let my blade show was strong, but I didn't do it. "We need to get off the path."

"But B- uh John said not to get off," Peter said, sounding nervous. "I don't thin-"

"Oh, we are getting off of the path," I said. My body was telling me that we were running out of time, so I just grabbed Peter's arm and pulled us off the path with me, standing in front of him.

"Oh," Peter said, probably hearing what I had been feeling. "Were you able to sense them from far off?" he asked, and I nodded. "How?"

"Vibrations," I replied. "What is coming at us?"

"Um... big wolves," Peter replied, sounding hesitant. He started to move as if he was trying to get in front of me. "Let me..." He stopped when I pushed him back.

"No," I warned. My whole body screamed to protect him to make sure that he wouldn't get hurt. I was protective of him like I had been protective of my group.

My group... I needed to make sure that my group was safe. I had been promised that I would be able to talk to people today, and I hoped that I could. I hated being dependent on someone for the care and wellbeing of them.

Loud breathing filled my ears, breaking me from my thoughts. I could hear two animals breathing and knew that they were coming closer and closer.

A growl filled the air, and I stopped touching Peter and held my staff with two hands. The growling stopped as both animals stopped in front of us.

One was so close to me that I could feel the breath coming from it. But, what surprised me was how high the breath was. These were not normal wolves, for they were taller than them.

No, these were mythical wolves. These were stronger and fiercer than normal wolves. These were...

...werewolves.

***

The wolf in front of me roared and gnashed his teeth right in front of my face. The beast started growling, and I stared blankly in front of me.

"Male or female?" I asked, cocking my head to the side. I was unimpressed with this feat of dominance, and for some reason, I was very mad that this wolf was trying to show dominance over me.

"M-m-m-male," Peter said. "Both of them are male."

I hummed. "Rank?"

"A-A-Alpha and B-B-Beta," he replied.

I hummed again. "Time?"

"W-W-Why?"

"Because I don't want to be late, and if this Alpha and Beta can move out of our way, then that would be just fine."

"Ummm..." He was shaking. I could feel it behind me, and I could tell that this Alpha scared him. "It's 11:45. We're f-f-fifteen minutes away." He was stuttering a little more than usual, and I knew that it was because of them.

"Can you two move?" I asked. "Please? I don't want to be late."

The wolf in front of me, growled and snorted. He moved his head as if to say 'no.'

"How tall is he again?" I asked.

"O-o-over six feet. Why?"

"Because I am about to go underneath him." I shifted on my feet, feeling the sound of leaves shifting underneath them. I scowled feeling a stick poking my foot and knew that I might have an injury. I could feel it digging into it but didn't know if it was breaking the skin.

"Y-Your foot," Peter said. "A-a-are you ok?"

"I would like to get on the path again," I replied. "So move, Bucko, before I push you out of my way."

The wolf snorted, and I had a feeling that he sat down. His meaning was clear. He wanted me to try.

"Did he just sit down?" I asked. I fiddled with my staff, wondering what the easiest way for me to move. "It felt like it."

"He did," Peter confirmed. He was still shaking like a leaf, but his voice was starting to get under control.

I huffed and scowled. I clenched my staff and narrowed my eyes. "Are you sure?" I asked, and the beast nodded.

"He nodded," Peter said, and I grunted in response.

"Alright, if you are sure. If so," I paused and glanced at the Beta. "Then, you need to move."