Chapter 3

I moved my hands up and down my arms, pursing my lips when I felt goosebumps. I was nervous about what my new family would think about me and prayed that they would look past my blindness and see the strong girl I was.

"Nervous?" Katherine asked, glancing at me. I could feel her worried glance, and I did not like it one bit. "Don't be. You will be all right."

I pursed my lips. "I can't help it," I said honestly. I shook my head and sighed, trying to get my feelings in order. I wanted to tell her what I was thinking, but a part of me thought that she wouldn't care. "I... don't know what is going to happen. I don't know if they will accept my... disability." I waved my hands in front of my face, indicating that I was blind.

Katherine took my hand and squeezed it reassuringly. She carried such warmth that it made me want to trust her, but I wasn't really a trusting person, no matter how they seemed. "I am going, being honest with you," she said bluntly. "Some people in the... community will not like the fact that you are blind. They... don't like anyone different than them."

"Well, what a cruel world to live in then," I muttered under my breath, causing Katherine to chuckle. I furrowed my brows in confusion. I had no idea as to how she heard that, but I had a feeling that whatever it was might be the reason as to why I heard growling. "How did you..?"

"Oh, I uh... have good hearing. I can hear things better than humans."

"But you are human. Right?"

Her heart rate picked up, and I could tell that she was panicking for some reason. "Yes, yes. Of course, I am. Why wouldn't I be?" Her pitch changed, and I could tell that she wanted me to change the subject.

"Ok, if you say so," I said. I didn't believe her, but I didn't know what she was or could be. I mean, only humans were real... right?

"You'll get to have your own room," Katherine said, changing the subject. Her heartbeat started to slow down, and I could tell that she wasn't lying. "And it has a nice bed that you get to sleep in. You will never have to sleep on a pile of rags ever again."

I nodded my head, a small smile flickering on my face. I didn't care what the room looked because I wouldn't be able to see it anyways. I wanted a nice bed, and I was grateful that I would be able to get it. "Will I be going to school?" I asked, feeling her stiffen. "I had been going to public school for as long as I remember," I added, trying to soothe her worry. "Someone just took notes for me, even though most of the time, they just wanted to see me fail."

"And did you?"

I shook my head, no. "It's weird, but I can see letters using my fingertips. I don't know how, but I can do that."

"Do you know Braille?" she asked.

I nodded, confirming that I did. "It was one of the first things that I had learned, even though Georgia didn't want me to. I knew that I had needed to learn it because it was the only way that I knew I would be able to have a future."

"I envy you," Katherine said, and I looked at her with furrowed brows, confused. "You might not have your sight, but you are still able to see."

I shrugged and smiled a little. I did not know why she was envying me about the way I saw, and I prayed that she would start to see in a different light. "Seeing isn't always about seeing with your eyes. Sometimes, it is about seeing with your heart."

***

I sat in the car and took deep breath, trying to stop my hands from shaking. I was nervous as to what this family would think of me and prayed that they would like me.

"Relax," someone said, touching my shoulder. The person, Katherine, chuckled amused when I had jumped back. She retreated her hand, but I could still feel her worry. "Sorry, I thought you knew that I was here."

I blushed and looked down. "I thought you left." I hadn't been focusing on my surroundings as I tried to battle with my feelings. I was nervous about what the people would say and hated that I wanted to impress them so much.

"I did," she said. "I came back when I saw that you didn't follow me out." She paused, and I could tell that her eyes were on me as she studied me. She wanted to know my feelings, and I didn't want to share them. "Are you nervous?"

I nodded my head. "I just..." I shook my head and sighed. I moved a hand through my hair, not able to get the feelings out into words. I hated it because it made some people think that I was not emotional and cold. "Never mind, it doesn't matter."

"But... it does," Katherine said, and I could hear the confusion written on her face. "What do you mean, it doesn't matter?"

I shrugged my shoulder and smiled, sadly. "It just doesn't matter. Come on, we have to get out there before they start wondering what has happened to us."

Katherine didn't say a word, but I could feel her pity. She patted my hand, reassuring me that she was with me before leaving the car.

I took a deep breath and let it out before stepping out of the car. I prayed to whoever was out there that they liked me. I knew that I would not be accepted back at the foster house if I wasn't.